preparing for backsplash

Old 01-28-19, 04:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
preparing for backsplash

Hi,
After removing a peel and stick backsplash and some of the paint came off with it and the wall is showing what looks like the paper part of the drywall

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WrhjDCsHAa2o2FAj9

Can anyone tell me, what I need to do to prepare the wall for a regular tile backsplash (not peel and stick type)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 04:54 PM
Received 50 Votes on 50 Posts
If it's just a surface layer of paper, you can just skim it with spackling and smooth it out. You can put a coat of sealer on it then tile.
Marksr may chime and give you more specifics.

Old 01-28-19, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
There is a product called Gardz that will seal the paper and allow you to skim coat over it to smooth out. Then prime with an oil based primer to seal the joint compound. Use a thinset that you mix from a powder and not a ready mixed product in a tub. Get a good sticky thinset like Mapei UltraLite which will prevent sag when you hang tile on a vertical surface. Have spacers ready to hold the tile grout lines and spacing between tiles.

Old 01-28-19, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 152 Posts
I doubt you need to do any drywall repairs if all you have is a ltitle ton paper... if so I would just oil prime any exposed paper... then you're ready for tile.

Old 01-28-19, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the advice!
I think I've found the gardz product, which is also a primer.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.zinsser-gardz-primer-sealer--916ml.1000833048.html

This will be my first backsplash, so to make things easier I'm thinking of using a pre-mixed tile adhesive. I was recommended to use Omnigrip from the home depot employee
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.omnigrip-maximum-strength-adhesive-95l.1000160467.html

Old 01-29-19, 12:10 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I'm thinking of using a pre-mixed tile adhesive
If the paper/drywall is min you really dont need to do anything, the mortar used to install the tile will simply act as filler.

Please, do not use any of the pre-mixed materials, they are of poor quality and sacrifice tile install performance to give you goop that does not dry while in the container.

A good high performance cement grout is your best choice!

Old 01-29-19, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Votes on 89 Posts
I'd first cut off any ragged edges of paper then apply Gardz or an oil base primer. Those primers prevent the moisture in anything applied over the torn paper from dissolving the drywall gypsum and/or cause more paper to lift. After that dries the wall will be ready for joint compound although the odds are the thinset will be enough.

Old 02-06-19, 07:11 AM
Thanks for all your help for my first back splash project. Here's the finished product: Backsplash

Now I just need to put sealer on the grout and caulking the base of the tiles. Does it matter which one I do first? I'm going to be using a silicone caulk

Old 02-06-19, 02:27 PM
Received 50 Votes on 50 Posts
nice job. I would put on the silicon caulk 1st then seal the grout.