Fixing grout issues around our floors

Old 02-10-19, 01:42 PM
Fixing grout issues around our floors

Hi all,

I'm collecting a list of issues that are popping up around the house, and looking to find time this month to take care of these - hopefully myself. I'm not a handy person at all, but I'm trying to take care of these projects myself to learn. We have stone tile on our main floor, and I'm starting to notice the grout is coming loose and apart. A few of the main issues is at the bottom of the staircase - you can see the grout is either missing, or loose enough to pull out. I'm wondering what the best way to repair this, and if I should actually use group to repair it - or the caulk type material?

Here's a picture for reference, but what would you think is the best (and maybe only) way to repair?

Thanks all, appreciate the responses.

Rob

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-19, 01:48 PM
Group Moderator
Wood expands and contracts and moves... especially at a staircase. When you have dissimilar materials like that it is better to caulk the joint rather than grout it. They make a wide variety of grout colored caulks (sanded and unsanded) that are sold in the same aisles with the tile and grout.

Mask off the tile and the trim with blue painters tape, making sure the tape is about 3/8" apart. Then caulk the joint, tool it with a wet finger, wiping it until you can see the clean edges of the tape on both sides, then remove the tape right away.

Old 02-10-19, 01:53 PM
Thanks very much for your quick reply!! That is what I was thinking as well, using the caulk. We bought the house with the tiling completed, and I thought the same way, that grouting the edges like this is asking for problems, and would be very hard to complete with a nice edge.

Thanks again!

Old 02-10-19, 03:35 PM
Caulk is the way to fix this. Looks like you have sanded grout, carefully find the right color which may come close even right away. The pic is too closeup to understand what it is, please take a step back and take another. If I'm guessing right you should have shoe molding there.

BTW, those tile do not look like stone tiles from here. I think they're porcelain tiles that mimic stone. Doesn't matter much now, but in the future it might matter.

Jaz

Old 02-10-19, 05:35 PM
Here is a second shot from a few feet away.

Attached Images