How much should I destroy to refinish shower floor?

Old 02-19-19, 09:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much should I destroy to refinish shower floor?

Context: I have a modern pretty walk in shower but I don't like its floor finish: It is made of pebbles sunk in cement. I guess it is meant to massage the foot but I dont like it and I want to replace to proper tile. I will have contracts over but I wonder how much will they need to destroy to refinish it.

I assume the anatomy is the typical: Sub-flooring, cement bed, liner, more cement (for the right pitch) and then the pebble layer.

Would a rework typically just require the removal of the top layer and perhaps some rework of the cement layer over the liner or would it require a full replacement all the way down to the subfloor?

I am also assuming, unless an accident happens, no need to damage or redo tile walls.

ps: I know much will depend on what the contract sees when he starts to break up the floor, but please follow my assumptions here... Otherwise what is the point of asking questions here?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-19, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
First and foremost.....we need to see what you see. Please post a picture of two for us.
How-to-insert-pictures

I'm not a tile guy or contractor like that. Just offering an opinion.. Normally when a floor pan or floor pan system is installed..... it wraps up the wall so that it forms a seal. If you break up the floor pan.... you will lose the seal at the wall. That will most likely mean that the lower part of the wall.... maybe a row or two of tiles will also need to be removed.

Old 02-19-19, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
It is made of pebbles sunk in cement
FWIW, this sounds like what's called exposed aggregate concrete.

Old 02-20-19, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You have an ergonomic stone floor that is designed to massage the feet while you are showering. Unfortunately, the shower pan under the pebbles goes up the walls and over the curb to create a waterproof tub that sheds to the drain. Demo'ing the stone will most likely damage the pan system and could result in a leak. Its more complicated than you think and would involve some very skilled people to pull this off in my opinion.

Old 02-21-19, 01:50 AM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
And you cant always assume it's conventional liner construction, newer membrane system with styrofoam bases are available and that would definitely be a simpler repair if installed.

But you wont know until you start tearing it apart.

BTW I like those stone floors!