Kitchen Tile is a Bad Bad Boy!!!!

Old 03-07-19, 11:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Tile is a Bad Bad Boy!!!!

Installed new kitchen tile (wood grained look from home depot) about 2 years ago. 2,000 sq feet of it. Took forever. Subfloor has a decent amount of movement .. Hence the problem of cracking grout. Its all over! Congrete board was put down and new subfloor. Im not looking for a long term proper fix of replacing each tile and subfloor etc.
I'm looking for a solution for the *next few years only *until i can rip it all out and do hardwoods. In the meantime.. I need some sort of flexible grout or caulk where the missing pieces are that will match the current grout. Please help!! It needs to.be pretty flexible ... Like rubber... And it needs to last 2 years. Does this exsist?
Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-19, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
Most grout manufacturers offer color matched caulk.

Old 03-07-19, 12:16 PM
Thank you Pilot Dane! I hope this works!

Old 03-07-19, 04:09 PM
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I need some sort of flexible grout
Well, there is no such thing! Using caulk will, well it will look like crap!

I'm looking for a solution for the *next few years only *until i can rip it all out and do hardwoods.
Save the money, live with the situation and move on to the next hardwood phase.

Old 03-10-19, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
There is a tile product meant for insufficient floors like yours called Snapstone. They sell a grout which is supposed to have some flexibility as well. I ran across this stuff at Menards a few years ago, if that store is in your area.

Old 03-10-19, 08:46 AM
Thanks. Yes I saw snapstone at home depot as well. Wanted to see if anyone has used it as its labeled "flexible grout" Appreciate the helpful advice!

Old 03-10-19, 08:50 AM
Marq1: I agree the caulk will look like crap ... Haha... Its meant for bathrooms.. The missing grout also looks like crap and collects crumbs etc. So I have to vaccum lines everyday. I'm not going to just "live with my situation" when I dont need to. Thats why I posted on here... Looking for a solution

Old 03-10-19, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
A great testament to doing things right the first time. If movement is in your floor, it is not tile ready (meant to help others, not beat up the OP).

Investigate various types of Luxury Vinyl Tiles that are installed with an integral groutline. The grout they use is flexible in nature, however, finding a matching color may be problematic. Visit a flooring distributor for more direction specific to your situation.

Old 03-11-19, 04:55 PM
Czizzi: thank you! I guess I was just seeing if anyone on here has worked with flexiboe grout/snapstone and if they have any pointers.
I agree -having no movement in subflood is ideal. Lesson learned. The house was built in the 70s and the subfloor was this partial board/crumbly type product. Not actually wood. Terrible! Haha

Old 03-11-19, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Wished you would have stopped by here first, the particle board has no place in a tile installation. It should have been removed and replaced with 3/4" T&G ply or Advantech subfloor. Would have gone a long way to a more successful install. This assumes that the rest of your flooring joist system and subfloor are up to specs.