Strategy for removing tile flooring from kitchen

Old 04-10-19, 08:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strategy for removing tile flooring from kitchen

Hello-

My kitchen in my house (built in 2001) is currently tile. I'm putting hardwood in my entire house, and soon I will be reaching the kitchen.

My kitchen cabinets are sitting on top of my tile floor. We are not removing the cabinets.

What should I be thinking about as far as removing the tile from the kitchen? I pulled up the carpet that is currently leading to the kitchen, and shot a floor level picture (attached). I guess I am a little confused as the entire level of the house sits on what I think is a 3/4" wood subfloor, but the kitchen tile seems to be sitting on top of something else (another layer of wood?) and that is sitting on the 3/4" subloor. The layer I labeled, "Another layer of wood" seems to be pretty firmly attached to the wood subfloor.

So, two questions. One, what is the best way to get the tile, and its "underlayment" (whatever it is) up? And two, how do I handle the tile that is supporting the cabinets? I assume cut around the base of the cabinets where the cabinets make contact with the floor? And how do I best do that?

Thanks for your time.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-19, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
First, re-think your plan to not remove the cabinets. You will have great difficulty cutting the tile and underlayment up underneath the toe kick. Without cutting the tile along the toe kick you are left with a major bugger of a job trying to remove the tile cleanly that is under the front edge of the cabinet and risk dinging up the toe kick.

Cutting tile is easy when it's loose and you can use a tile cutter or a wet saw but down on the floor it's a much harder and crazy dusty task. I know of no good way to cut tile up underneath a toe kick where you only have a few inches of head room. There are carbide tipped oscillating tools that can get in there but it will be very slow, very dirty and you will have a hard time cutting flush with the toe kick without scuffing up the toe kick.

The "another layer of wood?" is probably some type of tile backer like Hardie Backer. This most likely should be removed if installing hardwood and because it's going to have thinset stuck to it.

If you have a dishwasher pay attention to your floor's final elevation. You do not want to end up with your dishwasher hole being 1/4" too short for the dishwasher to fit. You also do not want to leave the dishwasher pocket without flooring as the dishwasher will drop into a hole and be difficult to remove in the future.

Old 04-11-19, 05:14 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Your far better off with tile in a kitchen, then wood!
A Toe Kick saw with a Diamond blade is what I would use to remove the tile under the cabinets.
Home Depot rents them, or you could buy a cheap one at Harbor Fraight.

Old 04-11-19, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
I have a pre-finished American Cherry (rather soft wood) in my kitchen and love it. It's held up well for the 18 years it's been down so far. It does dent if you drop something heavy like a cast iron skillet or a plate hitting on edge. We just call it patina.

Old 04-11-19, 11:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joe

The wife wants wood so......well itís going to be wood in the kitchen : )

Pilot

Youíre scaring me now!

I was thinking (and Iím a novice to intermediate skills guy) that I could pull out the stove, dishwasher, and stove, remove the kick plates from under the cabinets, use some sort of low profile saw to cut around the cabinet bases underneath the cabinets, leave tile in areas where I wonít see it like under the cabinets and appliances, then rip up the tile floor? I could put that quarter round base molding maybe around the areas where old tile meets wood floor visibly?

Further, after sleeping on it, I was thinking maybe that underlayment is a good thing? If I I could pull up the underlayment directly then there would be no dust because I could pull up the underlayment and tile all as one layer (or chunks of layers)? I just donít understand how that underlayment is attached to the subfloor and how best to pull it up without damaging the subfloor.

I assumed stuff like this happened all the time? There must be lots of people who pull their existing kitchen floor without having to rip out floor cabinets and the associated countertops?

Old 04-11-19, 03:23 PM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
The wife wants wood so......well itís going to be wood in the kitchen : )
To each their own, we bought a house with wood floors in the kitchen and it was some of the grosses flooring I have ever seen.

Dents all over the place where stuff was dropped, crud in every nook and cranny, cant clean thoroughly .

Never ever again!