How long after laying tile can I place a water heater on it?

Old 04-18-19, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long after laying tile can I place a water heater on it?

I am going to tile my laundry room floor and at the same time replace the water heater since it is due anyways. Since I have to remove the water heater, I would like to be able to put in the new one as soon as possible so we aren't without hot water for that long. How soon after laying the tile can I install the water heater? This is in a basement so the tile will be placed on the concrete slab.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-19, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let me add to this... I see that the mortar should dry 24 hours before you grout it. I plan to remove the tank, set down tiles only in that area (Maybe like a 3 x 3 area where the tank will sit), then install the new tank. I will do the rest of the room later on when I have more time and will let all that dry longer and seal the grout. In just the area where the tank will sit, can I set the tiles, let it dry 24 hours, then add some grout, and put the tank on it a few hours after that? It won't be seen because the drain pan will be over it.

Old 04-18-19, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 104 Votes on 95 Posts
The biggest issue is scooting the tiles if they haven't had time enough to set well. I would think if you let the thinset/tiles set for 24 hrs and then grout, once the grout is dry you should be good ..... but then I'm a painter not a pro tile setter

Old 04-18-19, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 5 Votes on 3 Posts
24 hours should be fine as long as you are careful not to scoot the water heater on them.