Keeping grout out of corners?

Old 05-20-19, 07:49 PM
Question Keeping grout out of corners?

Howdy all, having a hard time searching for this particular topic and most youtube videos show people packing grout in corners, or folks applying caulk after everything has been grouted... so wanted to see if you experts had any advice.

I'm doing tub to ceiling tiles in a bathroom and my plan is to caulk the corners (including tub and ceiling gaps). Any tips, tricks or best practices when it comes to the prep work before caulking the corners? I want to make sure that the tiles going into the corners have a nice grout edge - but I also want to keep the grout out of the corners. Any suggestions? Best I can put together is just to be careful and take care to clean any grout out of the corners. Wanted to see if anyone had any surefire methods. I suppose I'll run into the same thing when I'm grouting up to the 1/8" gap I've got between the tiles and the tub. In the home stretch and just wanting to make sure I don't screw it up :-) Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-19, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
I keep dowels or popsicle sticks or whatever stick fits the size of the joints on hand when tiling to scrape out thinset or grout where I don't want it when I'm applying said material.

Old 05-21-19, 01:42 AM
For the corners, small sponges work to wipe away (at least as much as possible) grout so that you can install bead of color matched caulk!

Old 05-23-19, 08:19 AM
Appreciate the input! Sounds like I'll be just try to work at a steady pace and make sure I get any grout out of the corners before it gets too hard. I'm ready to go with my color matched caulk :-)