Fixing gaps between Sub floor and Wall .

Old 05-28-19, 12:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing gaps between Sub floor and Wall .

I'm in the process of replacing the tile in my bathroom. However I have gaps between the wood subfloor and the wall and as a result my floor slopes down. the edges of my floor closer to the wall are not level. Any suggestions for filling the gaps and leveling out my floor.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-19, 03:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 158 Posts
Not sure what kind of suggestions you are wanting. When you attempt to level almost any floor, the subfloor should be removed so that you have access to the joists from above.

You have the option of jacking the house, raising the entire structure at once... or you can just shim or sister the joists. (This means putting a new joist alongside the old one). And at perimeter walls you often need to install perimeter blocking... short pieces that fit perpendicular between your joists.

For tile, you need to have a minimum of 3/4 tongue and groove subfloor that is glued and screwed, followed by 1/2" cement backer board. Tile also needs to be on joists that will not flex under load... so the tile guys often want to know the size of joist and span (length) of the joists to make sure they are not undersized or over spanned.

Old 05-28-19, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Usually shoot for a beefer subfloor system which is 3/4" + 1/2" then 1/4" cement backer set in a bed of thinset (1/2" is for walls). Once the cement board is down, you can then use self leveling compound to adjust your dips and such. Remember, tile needs flat, not necessarily level.

Also agree that the subfloor and joist system needs to be sturdy enough to meet L/360 guidelines for flex.

XSleeper voted this post useful.