popped tile help

Old 06-21-19, 02:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
popped tile help

I completed (or so I thought) renovating my bathroom a few months ago. recently I noticed two loose floor tiles. they were very easy to pull up and virtually no mortar was stuck to the bottom of them.

what is the next best course of action? I have a heating mat under the tiles so I am hesitent to grind the mortar down too much because I dont want to damage the heating element. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053HDWY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_azudDbF7HXDXK

I've seen products like "fix-a-floor" that can inject an elastometric adhesive under the tile. would that work you think?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-19, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
It sounds like you did not have good adhesion to the tile. I would carefully and gently scrape and loose thinset you can off the floor, being careful not to damage the heating mat. Scape the back of your tiles, and you can be a bit more aggressive to remove and loose mortar and high spots. Set the tiles into their spot on the floor and feel that they are slightly below the height of the other tiles.

Then mix up some thinset. Completely butter the back of each tile with a thin layer of thinsest. Then put a thin thinset on the floor. I would use a notch size smaller then recommended for your size tile. Then place the tile and carefully squish/tap into place paying attention to the tile's height and alignment with the others.