How to get grout out of "shattered look" chevron white tile?

Old 06-26-19, 04:22 PM
How to get grout out of "shattered look" chevron white tile?

I installed some white chevron tile for bar walls in my house and the tile is the shattered look. I have tiled many walls/floors before but had never used the shattered look until my wife wanted it behind the bar. I picked up 7 boxes at Lowes and after I grouted it I noticed that the grout actually seeped into the teeny tiny cracks on the surface of the tiles making them look dirty. For some reason there were variations in the boxes I bought and it only sunk in the most on certain boxes of tile. In the pictures I attached you can clearly see the difference where the grout is stuck in the small cracks within the "shattered look" of the tile. My question is....How can I get the grout out of these small cracks? Last resort I will have to cut out the bad areas of tile and redo the drywall and lay new tile again. I was supposed to seal the tile before grouting so this didn't happen but I didn't read any sort of instructions before getting to work. I have tried a metal brush on the end of a drill to try and get it out, all sorts of under the sink products. I have run out of ideas! Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Name:  tile.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  172.9 KB

Name:  tile_X.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  129.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-26-19 at 05:54 PM. Reason: resized picture/added enlarged picture
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-19, 05:56 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Your first picture was massive (file size). Hard to see the craze in it.
So I resized it and added a closeup view.

I'm not the pro here but that looks to be stained by the dye in the grout.

Old 06-27-19, 02:25 AM
The only way to "clean" away grout is to get some sulfamic acid and a toothbrush and have at it.

It will remove but it's going to take a lot of scrubbing!

Old 06-27-19, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
Boy, if the coloring got through the glaze and into the porcelain/ceramic I don't think you will be able to get it out without destroying the tile.