options to avoid replacing subfloor

Old 07-01-19, 02:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
options to avoid replacing subfloor

Hi All,
I've been working on replacing the floor in my entryway. The floor when I bought the house was ceramic tile that was pretty badly cracked and coming up - the previous owners had adhered it directly to the old linoleum below, and the floor had significant flex in it. I took out the tile and linoleum to find two half-inch thick layers of plywood. The top layer had some water damage from an adjacent bathroom so pulled that out, too. Now I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to avoid replacing the 1/2 inch plywood subfloor that's left. It doesn't seem to be water damaged, but just not strong enough for tiling on. I could probably just put down 3/4 inch plywood over top and then underlayment and tile on that, but that seems like a can of worms. I think I'd have to adjust the front door threshold, transition into adjacent rooms, adjust/trim the hallway closet door, etc.
Any other ideas? What would you do?
Studs are 2x10s installed 16 o.c., spanning about 11 1/2 feet, and seem solid and undamaged. I have good access to the floor from below through a drop ceiling.
Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-19, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
If the bottom layer of plywood is in good shape I wouldn't remove it. Instead of putting another layer of plywood on top I would consider a premium engineered product like Advantech. It's a premium OSB that is extremely strong and stiff and resistant to water damage. Then put a tile backer material on top like Hardie Backer or cement board.

Old 07-01-19, 04:27 PM
Received 78 Votes on 70 Posts
The top layer had some water damage from an adjacent bathroom so pulled that out
So the 2x 1/2" of subfloor is not the best situation. You already see what becomes of a job that is not done correctly, if you want to do it right, take out the top layer and or both and put in the 3/4!

Old 07-01-19, 04:30 PM
premium engineered product like Advantech
Have never heard of this, will have to do some reading to see what the comparison is to normal OSB!

Old 07-03-19, 03:11 PM
Hey, thanks guys, for the responses! I took a look at the Advantech and I see two kinds on the Lowe's website, with really similar descriptions:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/23-32-CAT-P...x-8/1000065715
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AdvanTech-F...4-x-8/50126556

The main differences I see is the more expensive kind looks like it's maybe more water-resistant, and has the built-in fastening guide. Am I missing something? Would it be worth using the more expensive panel in an entryway? It's a small space, so the price difference isn't huge, I'm just not looking to over-build for no reason.

Thanks again

Old 07-03-19, 03:14 PM
One other thing - I was planning to use a Schluter Ditra underlayment for the tile. Any opinions about OSB vs. plywood underlayment with Ditra?

Old 07-03-19, 05:09 PM
Any opinions about OSB vs. plywood underlayment with Ditra?
Makes absolutely no difference, the membrane is absolute, they advertise you can use drywall!

Old 07-03-19, 08:04 PM
Okay, nevermind, I just realized one is Advantech and one is not. The ratings sure seem to agree with you, PilotDane. I think I'll go with the Advantech. Thanks for all the great advice.

Old 07-04-19, 04:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
I will pick Advantech every time, except when I have to carry it. When you get a sheet you'll immediately notice that it's crazy heavy, but you'll soon appreciate how stiff, strong and flat it is.