Tile corner: bullnose or not

Old 07-09-19, 06:50 PM
Tile corner: bullnose or not

Hi,

I am tiling my shower, finally. I have two transitions: one is a corner, and one is nearly flush to drywall. Happily, my field tiles have one factory-glazed, color matched edge! The factory edge is actually a better color match than the bullnose.
Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  104.9 KB

The bullnose tile and the factory edge have a similar profile, though the bullnose is more rounded.
Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  33.1 KB

I am using ~12 inch tiles for the wall, and the shower bay is wide enough for ~3 such tiles (maybe 35"). For the flush-to-drywall, I simply used the field tile, since the edge is only partially visible, and I did not want to have a too-small till in the interior corner.

Now for the outer edge. Here, I am thinking of doing field tile to the edge and then putting a bullnose around the edge and slightly over the drywall. The goal here is to have 3 large field tile pieces on the wall. See here:

Name:  t3.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  268.1 KB

However, the entire internet seems to not like the idea of using a field tile edge as a corner. I get the point if the tile edge is not glazed. but in this case, I have one pretty nice glazed edge (and i can cherry pick the most pleasing of the edges). Is there any reason why I would not do this?

Last edited by PJmax; 07-09-19 at 08:51 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
I would use the bullnose tile, or if you were going to use all field tiles I would probably use a bullnose schluter edge for your corner that is a close color match.