Vertical and horizontal gap between tile floor and shower pan

Old 09-08-19, 02:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vertical and horizontal gap between tile floor and shower pan

Hi
When redoing my shower to fix issues from black mould and cracked surround, I found that there is a horizontal and vertical gap between the tile floor and the shower pan.This gap had been covered by painted wood trim.

The mould was growing because water was going behind the trim and ponding in the trough between the tile and the rough cement 'donut' that is supporting the shower pan. The water was then wicking into the drywall and floor plate on either side of the shower and so eventually it all turned to mush and mould. The gap is about 7/8" horizontally and about 1&1/2" vertically and extends the full 36" width of the shower stall. I have attached a photo from after I pulled out all the rotted stuff.

I am going to reuse the shower pan because there is nothing wrong with it plus I don't want to spend the $$ for a new one..

So, now that I 'm going to fix this, I need to fill or cover the gap in a way that is sealed to the shower pan so that the same thing doesn't happen again. (although I won't be putting drywall down that far, it will only be the floor plates that could get rotted. I can't just remove the donut and put the pan on the concrete floor because then the drain stem won't be at the right height.

I can't think of a way that will make a good seal to the floor and to the shower pan, as well as to the walls on either side.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

RC

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-19, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
I would assume the same grout you used on the tile would fill that gap horizontally. And vertically its hard to say since the pic doesn't show much of the front of the curb, but I would imagine you could find some sort of white quarter round tile that would fit in the space available. You definitely don't want wood there. There are also many Schulter-Rondec edges that could have been used under your floor tile that probably could have finished that edge off better, had you done that when laying the floor tile. No water should be coming out of the shower pan... if it is you have a problem with your shower door. And obviously some probably will when you open the door or curtain or what have you, but it shouldn't be anything tile and grout can't handle provided you have a bath mat there or wipe it dry.

And I'd also say (again hard to visualize without seeing it from the opposite side) that its not helping matters that your bottom plate ends right at the end of your pan. You usually want it to extend past by 2-3" so that you have room to put some corner bead and drywall on the wall return and finish it nicely. Finishing around tubs with durabond (waterproof) is a must. Regular joint compound should only be used for your final skim coat. And don't skip the primer when you paint.

Old 09-08-19, 04:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The floor tile and shower was there when we moved in. I don't know if it was part of the original build or if it was a later addition. This is my first time doing tile. I think there was an issue with the door near bottom hinge corner.

If I understand what you're saying, I can put new grout in between the tile edge and the concrete donut to narrow the vertical gap...? If I were to find a cove or quarter round tile moulding that is big enough to cover the vertical gap that could work. Would it adhere ok to the floor tile and new grout I fill the gap with?

I did replace the floor plate so it is 1&1/2" proud of the pan. I figure by the time it has backer board and tile on the face of it it will stick out at least 2&3/8"

Old 09-08-19, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
Czizzi could probably answer your questions about tile better than I could, but he's been pretty busy lately. I don't do a lot of tile... just enough to be dangerous. LOL I think ideally, you would use thinset to set your cove or quarter round tile first, which will partially fill that floor gap... as you set the tile you would want to maintain a nice even gap with your floor tile... keeping enough of a gap there for you to grout, which is done last.

Grout and thinset aren't really waterproof... so you would want to prevent leaks from getting to that area in the first place. Maybe a new shower door is in order.