Grout for tiled shower?

Old 09-15-19, 02:10 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grout for tiled shower?

I've been reading about kinds of thinset for showers, but what about the grout. Is there a kind that is more waterproof than standard?

Old 09-16-19, 04:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Grout is not waterproof and is not part of what makes a shower waterproof so you are free to choose whatever grout you want. Ease of cleaning and mildew resistance is usually of prime importance in a shower.

Old 09-16-19, 06:04 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
you are free to choose whatever grout you want
As long as it's not anything pre-mixed, that is never a good choice!

Old 09-16-19, 06:43 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
We just finished a full tile bathroom (just as in toilet and vanity was installed and plumbed Friday).

What we did for the tub/shower portion of the room was a good coat of the liquid Blue Seal (don't remember the exact brand name) painted on mold resistant (over priced)drywall and used porcelain tile as it's less pores than ceramic. For the grout, I believe my better looking half picked a normal (you mix) grout.

Old 09-23-19, 06:39 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, I do have porcelain tile and I ended up with mapei ultracolor plus and the additive that is used in place of water so it will not need to be sealed. Actual work taking place later this week. Been thinking about coating everything with Armor All when it's donel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: