Bathroom subfloor

Old 09-25-19, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom subfloor

As you can see from the attached I have a bathroom subfloor that is not in the best state, especially around the toilet. I removed the cement board that was previously on top of the old subfloor. In fact I think they just laid concrete down as in some places it was nearly 1" thick. I will remove the wood around the old vanity pipes, I just haven't got around to that yet,

My current plan is to lay 3/4" plywood on the top of the floor. The bath will then go straight on top of the plywood and the rest of the bathroom will be tiled so there will be 1/4" cement board / wedi board or similar there.

In another thread I saw someone recommend AdvanTech OSB flooring but I was told not to use OSB in a bathroom / kitchen due to code.

Is laying new plywood / OSB on top of the existing subfloor the best way to go? Can I use AdvanTech in a bathroom? I live in MN.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-19, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 242 Votes on 221 Posts
I would use Advantech. It is highly moisture resistant (much more so than plywood) and in my area has no restrictions. As for the codes in your area... that sounds like something for you to check on.

Old 09-25-19, 10:54 AM
Any idea where I can source Advancetech? Lowes doesn't seem to have any in stock in my area and I cannot order it.

Old 09-25-19, 10:55 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
One recommendation I would suggest (a HD employee suggested to me and I've done with my bathrooms) is to use the paint on Blue Seal (or similar) around the tub and toilet, irregardless of the tile going on top.
We just redid our one bathroom (the rush together room) which was blue sealed and no noticeable issues. It was only in place for ~2 years however.

Old 09-25-19, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
You can get Advantech from lumber yards and other suppliers.

Old 09-26-19, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately I can't seem to source Advantech in time for the project I'm doing. My local lumberyard stock legacy subfloor which sounds similar.. https://lpcorp.com/products/panels-s...m-sub-flooring
Any thoughts on using this instead?

Old 09-26-19, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
I have never worked with that brand but the description sounds similar to Advantech. The important thing is that it is treated for moisture resistance which LP Legacy seems to be.