Fireplace cement board and existing drywall

Old 10-11-19, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace cement board and existing drywall

Hello all,
I am a DIY'er, new to this forum. Getting ready to tackle a DIY project in our living room. We are removing the existing fireplace surround, mantel and drywall down to studs. We will be installing 1/2 inch cement board, mortar and drystack ledgestone veneer (floor to ceiling). My question is what to do with the new cement board joining up with the existing drywall (textured and painted) on an inside corner (see attached photos, my hand will be the new cement board). I know I need to connect that somehow, do I use the mesh fiberglass tape and thinset like I would for the other cement board joints? Do I need to sand off some of the texture on the existing drywall first? I don't want to mess too much with the existing drywall since the stacked stone will only cover up about 1 - 1.5" of that drywall. Since it is an interior wall with fireplace, moisture shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for any feedback on this, I'm excited to get the project started!

Eric

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-19, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
You would use corner bead [like it has now] You can tile over the drywall if you want, cement board isn't necessary in a dry location. I would consider tiling around the corner to the main wall.

Old 10-11-19, 10:46 AM
Thanks marksr, the installation instructions for the stone veneer are pretty clear that because of the weight, cement board is recommended. I'd be leery of putting that much weight on drywall for a 9' ceiling. We will be tiling around the corner to the main wall, i'm just not sure what to use for the corner bead when joining drywall and cement board on an inside corner.

Old 10-11-19, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Sorry, I missed the reference to stone and thought you were using tile

IMO there is no need to tape the inside corner. Once the stone is in place it will be hidden from view.

Old 10-11-19, 02:34 PM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
I think your doing too much deconstruction.

The existing drywall is sufficient to hold the venier as long as you install metal lath securely to the wall with scratch coat.

I did very similar install around my fireplace, 8' wide to about 8' high on a 13' wall, no problem!

Install the lath solid into the studs!

Personally I would not go around the corner unless the venier has corner pieces!

Old 10-11-19, 02:37 PM
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Inside corners are easy.
Just butt it against the existing wall.
I am assuming that the stone will cover the short wall your palm is facing.
If yes then I would paint about an inch of that black so if you can see in you do not see the the cement board.
Do not color the wall that the back of your hand faces.
I used a similar product that did not fit real tight against each other and where ever you could see the backboard I just colored with a black felt pen made a world of difference.

The outside corners may be a challenge.

Old 10-11-19, 02:52 PM
Marq1, I'm still contemplating the metal lath idea. The veneer we are using is so heavy, it makes me think....and yes they have corner pieces.
Manden, Yes, the stone will cover the short part of the bump out to the main wall. The stone is a tight fit, dry stack so there is not much to see through, but the mortar is a dark gray color so it will blend in just fine.

Old 10-11-19, 03:06 PM
Received 112 Votes on 103 Posts
From the pictures that is similar to what we installed, remember the drywall/CBU doesn't carry much load, it just transfers to the studs, they are holding the weight.

Nothing wrong with replacing drywall with CBU but not necessary!

Is that what the manufacture is recommending?