Can I Tile Over This?

Old 10-27-19, 08:00 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Tile Over This?

I want to install ceramic tile in my kitchen. Currently I have peel and stick squares. Underneath is this sheet flooring that is all stapled down (see pictures). I cannot tell if it is linoleum or vinyl. The house was built in 1952 so it may contain asbestos. Underneath this flooring is a 1/8" thick piece of wood and then the subfloor underneath that. Can I install schluter or backerboard on top of the linoleum/vinyl and then ceramic tile on top of that? Obviously I want to minimize height as much as possible since the kitchen is already higher than the adjacent hardwood. Thanks in advance for any help.

https://imgur.com/a/YETxsBV

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-19, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
What material is the subflooring? How thick is the subfloor? How long is the floor joist span? What size are the floor joists and what is their spacing?

If it were my house I would remove everything down to the subfloor. Depending on your subfloor you may need another layer of sheeting before the tile backer or you may get lucky and be able to put your backer right over the subfloor. But, in general I do not like the idea of putting tile backer on top of old sheet vinyl.

Old 10-28-19, 08:32 AM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
As Pilot Dane said you have a lot of unknowns here to spend all the money, time and effort installing ceramic tile only to find out that your base floor is inadequate and have to redo it in a couple years

At the minimum I would want to find out why the lino is stapled down.
Was it lifting because of water damage under it and/or the 1/8" (am assuming plywood) was de-laminating.

There are lots of DIY projects you can do and cut a few corners but in my opinion ceramic floor tile is not one of them.

Old 10-28-19, 04:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes you can do it right, or do it twice.