Hardibacker vs Wet Bed or Mud

Old 06-04-01, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a 3/4" plywood floor in a newly renovated kitchen. I want to place 12x12 ceramic tile down. Is it necessary to apply a "mud" floor vs surface prep with an impervious liner and "hardibacker" ? I have been told that only a "mud" floor will hold up and I would be "popping" tiles in a year or two with the "hardibacker". Has anyone experienced these types of problems using the "hardibacker"?
Also is there any real benefits of the "mud" floor vs using the "hardibacker"?

Old 06-04-01, 05:39 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bob,

There are definitely advantages to a "mud job," but it takes time and talent.

The Hardie will work is properly done. Use thin set under the backer board, and screw or nail it securely. Read the installation instructions. (a little folder available where backer board is sold.

Use good thin set. Polymer modified, i.e., Customs Versa Bond or TEC Full Flex or equal.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 06-09-01, 01:17 AM
Visiting Guest
It could be that you have a little more flex in your floor than most? You may want to pre-screw your wood floor to stiffen it up. 1/2" is better than 1/4" obviously and two layers of 1/4" thin-setted, screwed, and staggered so that no joints line up through both layers, is best of all, and may even rival mud under an inch thick for stability and integrity, and unless your floor is recessed to accomidate a mortar bed, height concerns limit you to about 1/2".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: