Removing Tile From Sheetrock

Old 03-21-20, 02:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Tile From Sheetrock

I'm not seeing a way to remove 12 inch tiles from sheetrock without completely destroying the sheetrock. I'm using a Trim Puller which is a pretty good tool, but at this rate, I may as well just cut the sheetrock out with the tile still attached. The tiles come off with 90% of the sheetrock still stuck to it. Any thoughts?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

03-21-20, 02:31 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 327 Posts
Quite often you'll rip off the paper and part of the gypsum when removing tile. Luckily sheetrock is cheap. At some point you realize it's better to just rip it all down quickly instead of going slow and gently trying to save the sheetrock.

Old 03-21-20, 02:08 PM
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky and the come off relatively clean but if they were put on right your seeing the results.

Unfortunately there really is no sure way to remove, a wide chisel has always been my first choice!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-24-20 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Fixed a really ugly typo.
Old 03-21-20, 02:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 357 Votes on 327 Posts
Quite often you'll rip off the paper and part of the gypsum when removing tile. Luckily sheetrock is cheap. At some point you realize it's better to just rip it all down quickly instead of going slow and gently trying to save the sheetrock.

joecaption, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 03-23-20, 12:20 PM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cut out the sheetrock and replace it with cement board. That area will see plenty of water and eventually the water will bet behind the tile and the sheetrock will become mush. Cement board will hold up much better.

Old 03-23-20, 03:14 PM
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
That area will see plenty of water
Areas around tubs like this are ok for drywall, as the OP is finding the sheet rock has not deteriorated from water!

Old 03-24-20, 07:51 AM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cement board is cheap insurance here. It depends on who uses the tub, maybe little water, maybe a lot. I've demo'd a few surrounds like this where the sheetrock was saturated. He has to demo the sheetrock anyway. Cement board just makes sense. That being said, it's his bathroom and he can do as he pleases.