Painting tile

Old 03-21-20, 04:31 PM
C
Received 55 Votes on 44 Posts
Painting tile

My wife wants to add accent tiles to our shower. She wants to match the color of the floor tile. We have not been able to find a matching tile at local big boxes and our one surviving tile store. However we can find paint chips that closely match the color.

Can tiles in a shower be painted?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-20, 09:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
Sure. Just don't expect to be happy with how long it holds up.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 03-21-20, 10:23 PM
J
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
Tile is nonporous so it's not going to stick.
Good luck trying to paint just the tile and not getting it on the porous grout.

Old 03-22-20, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
Tub and tile paint does better than other paints on tile but I agree that it would be difficult to get a lasting paint job over tile especially in a shower.

Old 03-22-20, 05:31 AM
C
I'm now thinking epoxy paint if we can find a close color match. The tiles would be painted before installing them.

Old 03-22-20, 05:54 AM
Received 236 Votes on 223 Posts
Joecaption stated it correctly, the tile in non-porous so paint has no way to grab ahold,

You really need to find a tile that will work!

Old 03-22-20, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 127 Votes on 112 Posts
My wife painted our wall tile in our bathroom but not in any of the wet areas (IE shower stall). We went to a "real" paint store and told them what we were doing and they sold us their best primer and paint. The paint has done very well on glazed, glass-smooth tile but it took many weeks to fully cure. I would not recommend any paint that will be exposed to water constantly.

Old 03-22-20, 09:51 AM
C
Thanks for all the comments. It was enough to convince me that painting is probably not the way to go. We're back to the local tile store to see if they can dig up a color match. If they can find one I suspect that we'll have to buy more than the dozen or so tiles that we need.
I did surf around and found lots of differing opinions. Apparently there is a specialty primer available at paint stores that can be used after sanding the tile surface to remove the glaze.

Old 03-23-20, 03:02 AM
B
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sometimes it may be better to contrast something you can't match and make a design element, than to use something that didn't quite make it. This is what I did when I couldn't find a match for the grey tile that was both sides of the plumbing wall. I didn't want to have just a black splotch where the mixing valve was that I replaced, so I just continued the black tile all around the tub and turned it down at the other end. Maybe not what everyone would like, but you get the idea

Attached Images