Attaching Durock to Shower Curb

Old 03-26-20, 01:28 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Attaching Durock to Shower Curb

Hey all,

I'm building the shower curb for a shower I'm installing in my own home. I'm using stacked 2x3's for the curb. My plan is to cover them in durock, thinset, then redgard. I've been watching quite a few videos on YouTube from StarrTile, who uses screws to attach the durock on all sides of the curb, then claims that the redgard will be sufficient to keep them from leaking. I'm seeing lots of poo-pooing of this method (screwing into the curb on the inside of the shower) so I'm curious whether it would be kosher to attach the durock to the curb using something like liquid nails rather than drilling into it. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-20, 02:08 PM
C
Ignore the liquid nails suggestion. After thinking about it for a few minutes I realized that adhering liquid nails to PVC liner won't work. In essence, how can I build a curb out of durock without screwing through the liner?

Old 03-26-20, 03:46 PM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
You really should not have wood in the curb, best option is to just get a foam curb that tile would be mortared to.

Old 03-26-20, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 433 Votes on 396 Posts
Cant answer your question without knowing more about your shower pan. Is it a liner? Kerdi? We are just guessing. All makes a difference what you do for the curb.

Old 03-27-20, 06:12 AM
C
Why shouldn't I be using wood? It looks like that's a very common and accepted practice.

I'll be using a PVC pan liner. So far I've stacked my 2x3's and poured my pre-slope.

Old 03-27-20, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
You never screw or nail through a pvc pan liner... only on the outside of the curb. Your concrete holds it back once you put your finish floor in.

Last one I did that way, after I glued on the preformed curb corners, I then took a sheet of metal lath, cut it to size, bent it in a metal brake (shape of a U) so it had nice crisp bends on it, and fit that over the membrane to hold it tightly. Just be sure you dont make it so tight that the wires poke a hole in the membrane! Then until I was ready to pour the concrete floor I just clamped a scrap of plywood (temporarily) into the corners to hold the inside corner of the curb snug and square. After the concrete floor was in, I mortared the curb last. (I used Quikrete stucco base mix).

Check out the step by step instructions given by the Floor Elf. (Google Floor elf pan liner).

Old 03-27-20, 07:57 AM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
It looks like that's a very common and accepted practice.
And so is rot from a leak.

Honestly the best system out there today is a membrane system, If your going to all the trouble of tearing out and installing a new shower why not give it the best opportunity to survive!.

Old 03-27-20, 07:58 AM
C
Thanks. I was looking for an easy way out to avoid floating a curb, but still not drilling into the liner. There probably are no magical shortcuts here, so I'll just go the curb floating route.

Old 03-27-20, 08:10 AM
C
And so is rot from a leak.

Honestly the best system out there today is a membrane system, If your going to all the trouble of tearing out and installing a new shower why not give it the best opportunity to survive!.
True, but the counter argument I've read (which makes sense to me) is that all of the surrounding studs and framing around the shower are also wood. So if your shower isn't waterproofed correctly, you've already lost the game anyway.

Old 03-27-20, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
True, but the counter argument I've read (which makes sense to me) is that all of the surrounding studs and framing around the shower are also wood. So if your shower isn't waterproofed correctly, you've already lost the game anyway.
Exactly.
Added a link to the last one I did. You also dont fasten too close to the floor when putting on the cement board.

CarolusP voted this post useful.