cleaning YELLOWED marble lamps

Old 06-10-01, 01:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I have just purchased an old marble lamp that originally was white with grey veining. It is now yellowed - it looks like the teeth of a long-term, three-pack-a-day smoker! Does anyone have any marble cleaning tips? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-01, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Six ferrets? Geez!

Lamps are a little out of my expertise, but I suspect it might have a lacquer coating over the marble, and that might be what has turned yellow. Do a little scratch test in an out-of-the-way spot. See is anything flakes off.

If it's lacquer, you can remove it with lacquer thinner. It won't harm the marble (if the marble is real --are you sure?).

If you are down to bare stone, try a little paste made from baking soda (Arm and Hammer, of course) and water.

Finally, although they aren't commonplace, there are stone species that are yellow with gray/green veining.

John

Last edited by Shadeladie; 08-21-10 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Link removed.
Old 08-21-10, 04:11 PM
It really works!

The description of the posts describes two marble lamps that I bought today to a T. 3-Pack a day smoker, yellow like old hounds teeth... The baking soda worked GREAT. There are some still some yellowed spots at the edges. I'm thinking ... lemons? More baking soda?

The thin paste worked better for me than a thick paste and I used a sponge and a toothbrush to get into the crevices. My $25 (each) lamps look like a million bucks. Now all I need to do is rewire and find appropriate shades. THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Old 08-21-10, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ha! I haven't seen a JB post here in....well.....for as long as I can remember.

Anyways, glad the baking soda tip worked.

Old 08-24-10, 01:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There are different chemicals to use for cleaning stains form marble, depending on the type of strain. For your problem mix a few drops of ammonia with a 20 percent peroxide solution. Put it on the stain with a soft cloth, and let it dry on its own. Then wipe the marble with a warm, damp cloth, and dry it with a towel.