Schluter In floor heat under tile on cement slab

Old 05-21-20, 09:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Schluter In floor heat under tile on cement slab

Our garage has a raised area that leads into the kitchen. It acts as our mudroom during most of the year. Well now I've built a partition wall to close this area off and convert it into an actual room. I used a 2x4 sill plate on the concrete and built the wall accordingly. We're planning on running in floor electric heat with tile as there's no HVAC. There are no moisture issues in the garage and this area is raised a step from the rest of the garage. For comfort and added insurance I was going to run the dri-core sub floor system and then schlutter in floor heat system. That should get me to the correct height with tile to match the sill and make for a smooth entrance from the new door correct? Am I missing anything?

​​https://www.lowes.com/pd/DRIcore-Subfloor-Membrane-Panel-23-25-in-x-23-25-in-Standard-0-875-in-Flooring-Underlayment/1000510831

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-20, 01:37 AM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
I have never really understood the advantage of the dricore panels, seems like an expensive item with no real benefit. You state you have no moisture issues then what are they doing for you?

You better read the specifications for them they are not intended to be a base for ceramic tile!

Old 05-22-20, 03:56 AM
M
Ok so I don't need to use the dri-core. Can I use 5/8 or 3/4 subfloor/plywood right on the cement slab? Then install the heating system directly on the subfloor?

Old 05-22-20, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 433 Votes on 396 Posts
You would be better off pouring 1/2" of self levelling compound. Then apply a Ditra membrane... Then your Ditra Heat goes on that.

But I don't think you want to raise the floor up. Tile should not be level with the door threshold. If it is the door sweep will drag and you would never be able to put a rug in front of the door.

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-22-20 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-22-20, 10:12 PM
M
Sleeper, didn't even think of that. Thank you for pointing that out. The slab the room is on is nearly level with no high/low spots that I can find with a 6' level. If the door frame sits on the sill how high should I bring the floor up? Or what would be typical?

Old 05-22-20, 11:09 PM
Received 237 Votes on 224 Posts
Not understanding why your wanting to raise the floor? If you using the Ditra heat/decoupling membrane it can go right on the slab.

Old 05-23-20, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
The prehung door will sit on the concrete just like it would sit on a plywood subfloor. IMO you don't need to raise the concrete floor up at all, and if you did decide to, the maximum would probably be 1/4-3/8", with self leveling cement over the entire floor. Any higher and it could drag, or no rug. On modern doors your adjustable threshold sticks up above the floor covering, no matter what it is.

Old 05-23-20, 06:56 AM
M
Guys, thanks for the advice and I apologize for being a novice DIYer. I now understand that the Ditra can go right on the slab. If you look at the pic of the wall I built, the reason I was asking about raising the floor a bit is because of the sill plate under the door. I thought that by adding a subfloor of some sort (Dri-core or plywood) it would increase the comfort in the room as well as bring the floor up so when you enter there's not a 1" or 1.5" drop from the threshold to the tile...if I understand correctly, I should cut out that portion of the sill, install the pre-hung directly on the slab and ditra/tile the room behind and I'll be good to go?

Attached Images  
Old 05-23-20, 07:15 AM
Group Moderator
You cut the stud out of the doorway with a sawzall before you install the door.

Unrelated, but your photo also shows how not to install drywall around the top of a doorway. Ocassionally we get posts asking "why is my drywall cracking like this at the top of a doorway". This is exactly why it happens. You shouldn't put joints at the corners of the doorway like that. Not criticizing, just passing it on.

Old 05-23-20, 08:05 AM
M
Sleeper, thanks again. That solve my door and flooring question. As for the drywall, where were you when I started this project? Haha, thanks again for all the help. I will see if maybe I can cut out some of that drywall and redo it before I put the door in