Adding new mortar to shower pan

Old 05-29-20, 11:06 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Adding new mortar to shower pan

I have a shower pan poured for a roughly 3í x 4í shower. I just finished Redgarding the floor, but just noticed that the slope on the back wall dips about .75Ē in the middle, which will be a problem for leveling my wall tiles along the floor. The slopes towards the drain are fine, itís just the slope along the back wall. If I want to add more mortar to fill this in and level it off, will I need to scrape off the Regard in that area, or should the mortar bond ok to the Redgard? Should I be putting a small layer of thin set in between the two layers of mortar?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-20, 12:32 PM
Received 275 Votes on 256 Posts
Redguard is an elastomeric waterproofing membrane, mortar will not stick to it, you know the answer, it should have been thoroughly checked before coating.

I would not trust applying anything over this!

Old 05-29-20, 02:00 PM
C
What about if I applied a thin layer of thin set over the area that Iíll fill with mortar? The thinset sticks to the Redgard for the tile application, after all.

Alternatively, if I donít fix the slope am I essentially just left with either shaving some of the tiles on the bottom row and/or getting creative with my grout lines?

Old 05-30-20, 12:21 AM
After thinking about this, I would just use some latex modified mortar and fill in the low spot. Not the best solution but you really dont have any other option.

Old 06-01-20, 04:40 PM
C
Use latex modified thinset mortar, or are you talking about a different kind of mortar? I've read that thinset shouldn't be applied thick as it will crack and shift around, so that's why I didn't think I could go that route.

Old 06-01-20, 06:27 PM
Were talking the same item, mortar is what the pan is constructed with, latex modified mortar/thinset is used to attach the tiles. The latex additive greatly increases the overall bond strength.

You would never apply thinset this thick for a tile application but your building up a low area and you noted a couple thin layers will minimize cracking as the material cures!