1/4" hardibacker over 1/2" ply sub floor for tile?

Old 07-26-20, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/4" hardibacker over 1/2" ply sub floor for tile?

Redoing my bathroom. It's a 1966 house and the sub floor is 1/2" ply, some of which was rotted out. I'm replacing the whole sub floor just for posterity. As it was 1/2", I'm going to be using 1/2" again. I had the choice of 3 ply or 4 ply, of which I chose 3 ply as it was cheaper - is that ok?

I'll be tiling the floor and planned on doing a standard tile job: Paper > thinset > 1/4" hardibacker(screwed) > thinset > tile.

Will that be legit, given the subfloor is substandard thickness?

Old 07-26-20, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 721 Posts
You should be replacing it with a minimum of 3/4" plywood. You shouldnt even attempt to put tile on a substandard subfloor. Its just asking for problems.

Old 07-26-20, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should be replacing it with a minimum of 3/4" plywood. You shouldnt even attempt to put tile on a substandard subfloor. Its just asking for problems.
That's what I'll do. I just needed someone to agree with me. I know it's the right way, I just had this daydream you'd say "nah, that's a fine way to do it" lmao. Does it need to be tongue and groove? Or just standard 3/4 ply(not OSB)?

Old 07-26-20, 11:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
All joints in the ply need to be supported. Tongue and groove plywood or Advantech would be best but if using regular ply you can install blocking under the seams and screw them together. Basically tongue and groove is a lot easier especially if doing a decent sized space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: