Hardie board over this subloor

Old 07-29-20, 03:16 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardie board over this subloor

Hi,
Can Hardie backer board be placed over the subfloor shown in the picture? It was under tile in a bath room. I still have to remove some of the grout and smooth.

Thank you

Old 07-29-20, 04:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
If there was already tile installed, why are you installing another tile base on top of the existing one? What is the existing tile base material?

Hardie Backer can be installed over almost any subflooring. It's up to you to determine if the framing and subfloor is strong and stiff enough to support tile without cracking.

Old 07-29-20, 05:02 AM
C
This is my first tile job. I do not know what that sub base is. It is a very hard material and is strong and stiff. I did not have any cracked tiles or grout before they were removed. It was just old (appox 35 yrs)

If the existing base is adequate (once cleaned up), then I won't. I just was not sure.

Thank you

Old 07-30-20, 05:19 PM
C
Here is a new photo showing the profile next to the toilet flange. The top checkboard material is a thin paper like material. The very bottom is plywood type wood (next to the white toilet flange). I'm not sure what the middle gray material is. It is 1 inch thick. Around the flange it flakes easy. As you can see in my first photo, there are no fasteners holding it down.

Looking for what my approach would be to re do the tile.

Thank you. Appreciate the help.

Old 07-31-20, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Looks like an old mud bed.

Old 07-31-20, 05:55 PM
C
Can I retile over the old mud bed?

Would it be ok to place a new 1/4 concrete board over it (secured)

Thank you

Old 08-01-20, 06:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If it is a mud bed, as long as it is solid and not crumbling in anyway, you can tile directly over it.

Logic - you have a cement mud bed, why would you put another layer of cement over it in order to tile.

Cement boards are today's answer to yesterdays mud beds. Go with what you have and tile over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: