Putting tile over stone

Old 08-10-20, 06:07 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Putting tile over stone

Can I put the new porcelain tiles over red mark stone on the picture(It's been glued to the fireplace) and what is best way?

I want to remove the builder made wooden decor and lay the tiles all the way up?
It is a gas fireplace with metal sheet.

Old 08-11-20, 04:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
It will be a more complex project than simply applying tile to the front of your stone. You will have to look at the elevation of everything if your want to tile from floor to ceiling.

scrambledlife voted this post useful.
Old 08-11-20, 05:11 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If it's an insert then the tile is probably installed onto the drywall, if the hearth is going to be removed, it is also attached to the drywall meaning the existing stone/tile will need to be removed to have a level surface!

Old 08-11-20, 07:41 AM
S
I will upload couple of pictures to show what I have in mind.That makes it easier for you guys to guide to do what I need.Thanks a lot

Old 08-11-20, 08:37 AM
S
These are the type of remodeling I had in mind.The above of the fireplace coming forward and the sides,I can not frame and put boards and tiles on it,right?
I was told at fireplace section it gets hot and I can not put 2x4 to bring it forward.I did not want to have the code issue.

@2

#1 is the one I had in mind or 2.

Old 08-11-20, 09:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
At this point I would not worry about the details like if new tile can be stuck on top of the stone. You need to look at how your hearth, mantle and surround are constructed. Then determine where the new "face" will be located. That will tell you what can be saved and what should go. For a project of this scope I would not try saving much and would begin by removing the mantle and stone firebox fascade. Because of the amount of work involved saving the old stone in place isn't going to be a benefit and forces you to figure out a way to conceal the edge of the stone. It's better to just get rid of it all and start fresh.

Old 08-11-20, 09:30 AM
S
The stone is glued to fireplace and the rest above is sheet rock.I was going to remove stone and everything else and start from framing 2x4 and cement boards and till it.I like to do it #2 or #1 picture but I was told 2x4 gets hot( my thread is Remodeling fireplace at fireplace section).
Can I frame it like #2 blue tile section above my fireplace and tile it and surrounding tiles.In order to bring it forward the frame I have to use 2x4 If I can.This my fireplace closeup.

Old 08-11-20, 08:39 PM
S
[QUOTE]If it's an insert then the tile is probably installed onto the drywall, if the hearth is going to be removed, it is also attached to the drywall meaning the existing stone/tile will need to be removed to have a level surface!]

The heart is attached to 2x4 and the stone are glued to fireplace surrounding metal.Above the stone with red mark there is 2'' gap between heart(has to go) and stone.I looked the inside and I could see the stone glued to fireplace above stone is just drywall.The only reason I was going to keep the stone To put the 2x4 over stone not close to metal and cover it with cement board to tile.

This is what I am going to do and everything will go beside fireplace.
I am not going install tv like on picture.

Old 08-12-20, 05:31 AM
it with cement board to tile
For an insert, you dont need cement board, that is needed for showers due to wet location.

Properly attached drywall and/or screed for stone will support either tile or stone.

Old 08-12-20, 09:21 AM
S
[QUOTE][Properly attached drywall and/or screed for stone].

Like the grey walls by navy tiles @2 picture I can instal a few layers of drywalls (about 31/2'') to bring it forward.
Can I do the same with stone on the top the fireplace(like blue tiles at #1 picture).
What is the best way to do this?
I need to learn how to post the quotes for you first.

Old 08-12-20, 10:06 AM
Can I do the same with stone on the top the fireplace
Stone manufacture will have specific instructions for different applications, need to follow them!!

But generally yes, I have 4 walls with different types of stone, some are 5' tall, one is over 8' tall all installed on drywall!

Old 08-12-20, 10:23 AM
S
That is stone had been there for 20 years,no infos on who made it9or is there way I can figure it out).
Can I glue the drywalls to the stone around fireplace and tile it?

Old 08-15-20, 11:29 AM
S
Can I use these James Hardie® fiber cement exteriors(Approved for fire-resistance rated construction (ASTM E119)
See JamesHardie Fire resistance rated wall assemblies) in place of drywall over the stone and add drywall for bring it forward(for decoration only).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: