White stains on stone tile from toothpaste

Old 09-19-20, 06:56 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White stains on stone tile from toothpaste

My kids somehow got a huge amount of toothpaste on their stone bathroom floor tiles and sat there for hours. There are not these white-ish stains that will not come off with any sort of cleaner or brushing.

Any suggestions for how to remove these? I'm not finding anything online about toothpaste discoloration on stone.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-20, 05:57 AM
S
So apparently it wasn't toothpaste but toilet bowl cleaner. Guessing this is a reaction to the acid in the cleaner and I'll need to get it professionally repaired somehow.

Old 09-21-20, 07:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
The floor appears to be tile, is it real/natural stone? It's odd that toilet cleaner has left a permenant mark on glazed tile.

Specifically what toilet bowl cleaner was used? A starting point is to find out if your product uses an acid or base/lye for cleaning.

What cleaning products have you tried and what cleaning process?

Old 10-16-20, 07:22 AM
S
I had a professional stone repair company come out to look at it and they confirmed that it's acid etching instead of staining. Normally they can polish it out but not with these natural textured stone tiles.

They recommended that I try StoneTech Enhancer Sealer with a warning that it will likely darken the stone. It ended up working well - the etch marks are no longer visible, and the stone got only slightly darker. Only issue is that the smell from the product can take days to go away.