Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Changing countertops. What to do with the current marble backsplash?

Old 10-19-20, 08:16 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are changing our kitchen counters from builder laminate to Quartz. The builder laminate counters have a 4" built-in backsplash and then the rest of the wall is tiled with expensive marble tiling. So replacing the counters means a gap on the wall with missing marble tiling. Problem is that, even though we have extra tiles, they will not fit without having to be cut thinner than the existing tiles. This will create ugly unsymmetry in the tiling pattern in the bottom row.

Any suggestions other that ripping out all the tiling and redoing it? BTW, we really like the current tiles with the cabinets and our selected quartz.

Old 10-19-20, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Install a quartz backsplash.

Old 10-20-20, 04:56 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Pictures would help.____________________________

Old 10-20-20, 07:01 AM
X
Old 10-20-20, 07:29 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Personally I have never liked the look of a counter without a backsplash, but it's your kitchen, I would also just have new backsplashes installed the same as the countertop.

Old 10-20-20, 08:32 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Three choices:

1. Tile down to top of counter. Since the bottom cut tile will be more than half the tile height it won't look as bad as a thin sliver would.

2. Add two rows of tile first and install countertop against the tile. Same appearance as above but less opportunity for uneven joint due to cuts.

3. Install quartz backsplash to match countertop.

Old 10-20-20, 08:45 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
The aesthetic way to do this is
A) quartz backsplash
B) remove the backsplash and layout marble tiles, accept the overlap
C) cut a strip of the laminate to bridge the gap between quartz and marble tile.
D) cut some marble tiles into squares to create a "filler" pattern to bridge the gap.

Old 10-20-20, 09:02 AM
Unlike Marq, (sorry Marq, we think differently ) I think a counter top without a backsplash looks unfinished.

Folks, don't mistake the back wall as the countertop backsplash. Many people do.

Can you buy a quartz countertop without the built-in 4" backsplash? If so have custom backsplash that is of the proper size. It will be glued and seal on the counter top. This would be the professional way of doing it.

Other wise use one of the three choices as Hal suggested.

EDIT...those pictures. Are these in fact your new countertop or just what you had in mind?

Old 10-20-20, 09:50 AM
X
Thanks all,

The pics are with the old countertop. New counters will not come with a 4" backsplash (will be flush). But we have the option of retrofitting a piece later if we can't make the marble tile backsplash work. We are actually not fully decided on Quartz or Granite as the dark Quartz does not seem to have the same WOW factor as lighter shades. Granite options look better (Steel Gray or Cafe Imperial). Our floors are slate color as well.

Old 10-20-20, 10:02 AM
I also had the same choice as you have several years ago when I did my kitchen retro. The only part I did not do myself is the granite counter top. The natural stone is really nice. But you need to be very careful that you don't get any oil type liquid on it or it will stain. The countertop people custom cut my backsplash since the wall was not absolutely straight with counter top and I had to preserve my tiled back wall. It turned out perfect. When it comes to stone let the pros do it all.

FWIW...how are you doing your sink? Surface mount or under countertop? Under countertop is the current trend, but be aware that if and when you want to change sinks, it might take a pro to remove and re-attach the sink. Not so with a surface mount.

Old 10-20-20, 03:38 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Personally I have never liked the look of a counter without a backsplash
Unlike Marq, (sorry Marq, we think differently ) I think a counter top without a backsplash looks unfinished.
Ahhh, I think we're thinking alike there Norm!!!

Old 10-20-20, 04:02 PM
Ahhh, I think we're thinking alike there Norm!!!
Oops, You're right. I mis-read your post. My bad.

Old 10-20-20, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
New counters will not come with a 4" backsplash (will be flush).
you can get individual pieces of quartz to use as a backsplash. Which is why I said to use quartz. If you get any kind of stone countertop, quartz, granite, marble, etc... this is how the backsplash comes. Seperately.

Old 10-20-20, 05:42 PM
X
you can get individual pieces of quartz to use as a backsplash. Which is why I said to use quartz. If you get any kind of stone countertop, quartz, granite, marble, etc... this is how the backsplash comes. Seperately.
Yes, that is why I said we have the option of adding it later if we can't make the marble tile work. I'd rather delete the 4" countertop backspalsh if possible as it is antiquated IMO. But if the tile solutions look terrible, I may have to go that route. I think I've seen 1 house out of a hundred in our area with a 4" stone backsplash in the kitchen. For bathrooms it is ubiquitous, but for kitchnes.......very rare.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: