Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Which size trowel for thinset between plywood subfloor and 1/4" hardiboard?

Old 11-13-20, 10:05 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting ready to do my prep for the tile floor. There's 3/4" ply subfloor, over which I'm putting down 1/4" hardi. Which size trowel do I need for that layer of thinset between the sub floor and the hardi?

Follow up question: the floor tiles are 12x24. Do I stick with the 1/2 x 1/2 trowel for that too?

Old 11-13-20, 11:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I don't think the notch size is important when installing the backer. A bit depends on how high you want the final floor to end up. I use smaller notch if I want to keep it low or a bigger notch if I need to add some height. Also, If the subfloor is nice, clean and smooth I use a smaller notch but if the subfloor has humps, dips or other imperfections I'll go to a larger notch trowel.

For you 12 x 24 tile I'd use a 1/2 x 1/2" notch trowel. When setting such large tile I spend extra time making sure the first is absolutely level. Then when I place each tile I slide a straight edge all along the edges to make sure all the tiles are at the same height. you don't want to finish the job and find a tile with a corner sticking up where it can catch bare feet.

Old 11-13-20, 11:31 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ty sir! as always, your advice is golden and appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: