Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

How much of a gap will thinset take up between sublooring and tile?

Old 11-20-20, 12:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

OK, I've got my sub floor down. There is 1" to the toilet flange. I'm using 12x24 tiles, so will be using a 1/2" trowel for that and a 1/4" trowel for between the subfloor and hardi board.

QUESTION: If I use the 1/4" hardi board and the tiles are 1/2" thick, will I make up that other half inch in thinset? Or do I need to run with the 1/2" hardi board(which is really .42")?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-20, 12:52 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I'm checking your math here. You say the tile is 1/2" thick and you are using 1/4" cement board. That's 3/4" right there. If the flange is 1" off the subfloor you only have a 1/4" to make up. The 1/4" trowel under the cement board will add almost no height. The trowel gets held at an angle that leaves less than 1/4" ridges, then the ridges get collapsed into the valleys when the cement board is set in. The thinset under the cement board is there simply to fill in all voids between the subfloor and the cement board. The cement board screws hold the cement board to the subfloor. The 1/2" trowel used to set the tile will raise the tile approx 3/16". Same principle as the 1/4" trowel described above. The less than 1/2" ridges will collapse into the valleys. You should be good with the 1/4" cement board. 1/4" cement board is for floors, 1/2" is typically used for walls but could be used for floors also.