Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Wall tile leave an odd 1/2" gap along the edges. What is my best bet?

Old 12-07-20, 03:08 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are tiling a small wall (about 73x33") in a small bathroom. The tile is running up the wall behind the toilet. The tile is about 8x8 and we are using 3/16" spacers. This means we end up with around a 1/2" space on the left and right edges of the wall, which seems a bit too big. We don't want to shift the pattern left or right because we want to keep the pattern balanced up the middle of the wall. What would our best solution be since we don't want to fill a 1/2" gap with caulk on each sides?

Last edited by pisti; 12-07-20 at 04:20 PM. Reason: edited spacer size to the correct one
Old 12-07-20, 03:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
First, measure a number of tiles from different boxes. Usually there is some variation in size though it tends to be on the smaller size. When you know the real size of the tiles you'll have a better idea of exactly how much gap you'll have.

One option is to use a larger grout joint. You can look for edge pencil tile and do a vertical on each side to eat up the extra space. You could also do wood molding in the corners to cover any gap.

Old 12-07-20, 06:12 PM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
Everybody has different tastes, but if were me, id want a tile that doesn't scream at me when I turned the lights on, sorry, just my first impression!

Old 12-08-20, 11:03 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You say you don't want to shift the pattern but there is really no choice other than to possibly select different tile. You can still center and balance the wall by making cuts on each side of the wall so that the cut tiles are the same size on both sides. Each side would have cut tiles approx 4 !/2" side. That would give you your best look. Other considerations could be some decorative trim in the corners.

Why have you decided on 3/16" grout joints? Is that what is recommended by the manufacturer? 1/8" grout joints might look nicer if there isn't much variance in tile size.

Old 12-08-20, 12:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
Look for some border tiles that complement those tiles. A row on each side would look good.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 12-08-20, 04:31 PM
D
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
You say you are centering the tiles on the wall - is the center a grout line or the center of a tile? Shifting from one to the other will change what you end up with at the edges and you'll still have a perfectly centered layout.

Old 12-08-20, 08:02 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The grout line is what will be centered on the wall, like the image shows. We originally were told to go with the larger spacers at the tile store to try and solve this, but we have opted to go with the smaller 1/8" spacers. We have looked for smaller border tile but haven't seen anything that would work for the 1/2" space. Most pencil trim is rounded which seems strange to have a crevice between that and the corner wall filled with caulk.

At this point we are thinking of using a Schluter edge with a slightly larger grout line on the outsides between the tile and trim. That should leave us just shy of a 1/4" gap that we would need to fill with caulk. The only issue is we would like white trim and can't find a flat, non bullnose, Schluter. So we are thinking of painting the trim before installing, but aren't sure how that will go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 12-09-20, 05:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
What is a "Schulter"? I am familiar with the company but I've never heard of Schulter as an individual item.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: