Ceramic tile on concrete slab

Old 06-17-01, 09:37 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My wife and I are planning on installing new ceramic tile floor in our kitchen/dining room. We have removed the old flooring, (carpet in DR/ancient early '70s kitchen linoleum...and yes, we were careful), and are left with the concrete slab on which our home was built in 1974. The room is an irregularly shaped "L," almost a "C", the largest dimensions being 27' by 20'. The narrowest dimension, in the "riser" of the "L" is about 10'. Our tiles are square measuring 13 1/8 inches. Plumbers recently jack hammered a roundish 1 and a half foot hole into the slab, which I repaired. Could we install the tiles directly onto the concrete or must we use cement backerboard? If we must use the backerboard, what thickness should we use? How should it be attched to the concrete? What about this new material I've heard abou that is used in place of backerboard? Any help would be valuable.

Old 06-18-01, 05:19 PM
J
Okay, you don't need backer board. If you have cracks in the slab, they should be covered with a membrane. Adanac might have you cover the whole floor with "Ditra." He's recently discovered the stuff and likes it.

I think you will difinitely need some sort of membrane over the hole the plumbers made. (Something about plumbers. They're always breaking things.

Otherwise, intall your tiles using polymer modified thin set.

John

Old 09-01-01, 12:39 AM
Visiting Guest
I am planning on remodeling my basement. We currently run a dehumidifier in the basement, for which I need to empty
the water pan daily (sometimes more than daily).

I am thinking of using an air conditioner. If I run the air conditioner on low, will I also need to use the dehumidifier? That is, I'm willing to keep the air conditioner on constantly, but I don't believe I'll need the dehumidifier when I do that. It would be a portable AC.

Is that correct? does the ac also dehumidify?

Is this an expensive way to keep the basement cool and dry?
How can I check the energy usage for each?

Old 08-02-02, 06:32 PM
A
Thanks...

Used the Ditra. The stuff is awesome. Very easy to use. Tile looks great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: