grout problems

Old 06-21-01, 01:21 PM
Visiting Guest
In the last 2 months I had a contractor install ceramic tile in my kitchen,hallway and dining room. He installed fiberboard (glued and nailed) over oak wood floors. In some areas the grout is cracking. He told me this could be caused by the grout not being pushed or packed down all the way (possible air pocket), or the grout consistency when mixed not correct, or the tile being loose. What causes this? And how can I know for sure what the problem is? And how can this be fixed so it does not happen again.

Old 06-21-01, 06:17 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The Problem may be the oak floors underneath...What did he use to glue down the fiber board(i'm not sure what you mean by this either)...but if you used thin set under the board, the moisture from the thinset may have swelled the oak, and it is now pushing up from below and cracking the joints in the tile. Can you pass along the name of the fiber board and the thin set used(if any)?...the more information the better.

Old 06-21-01, 07:43 PM
J
an honest fella, anyway. He tells you all the things he might have done wrong.

Yes, please tell us a little more.

John

Old 06-22-01, 07:42 AM
Visiting Guest
grout problems

Thanks for your response. As for the fiberboard he used Fiberrock by USG (quarter inch) the thinset is Tec Full Set (Pro grade 370). If this was a moisture problem from the thin set, when he re-grouts the area will this happen again? Is this going to happen in other areas later, or would this have happen already? What will fix this problem?

Old 06-22-01, 06:06 PM
A
I don't think it will happen again, since it's the moisture between the board and the hardwood that may be the problem, not the thinset between the board and the tile. Hopefully it has dried out and will stop. I don't know of any way to fix it...I checked out USG's site and it say the only substrate suitable for fiberock is 5/8th plywood..over 2x10 joists, 16 inches on centre...but I think it's the Oak that is the problem. (Why did you cover the oak?)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: