Stained limestone

Old 05-10-21, 11:10 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stained limestone

Hi gang,

a number of years ago the wife fell in love with this marbley grey limestone tiles that we used on our kitchen floor. The stuff is super porous and takes stain very easily even after sealing repeatedly. I would not used again as a floor tile and definitely not in the kitchen. Recently the kid dropped a jar of yogurt on the floor and was scared to pick up the broken glass so the yogurt sat on the floor for about six hours. Where the stuff sat we now have a bright white circle staining a couple of the 12x24 tiles. Any chance I can darken these back without having to replace the tiles? I do have some spares but I also have cable heat under the floor so Im hesitant to bust them out for fear of damaging the heating system. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old 05-10-21, 11:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 969 Votes on 890 Posts
Avoid any acids so no CLR or vinegar. Have you tried a thorough scrubbing with some soap and water to mechanically remove as much as you can?

I have never tried using it but I saw online a recommendation to mix hydrogen peroxide and flour as a cleaner for limestone. Also The Natural Stone Institute has some cleaning recommendations.

Old 05-10-21, 01:12 PM
P
We did clean with soap and water, and used a professional tile cleaner, it’s as clean and smooth as we can get it. It appears that the acid in the yogurt has stained the tile.

Old 05-12-21, 01:54 PM
P
I didn’t think this would be such a difficult question.

Old 05-12-21, 05:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 969 Votes on 890 Posts
Yes, stains in a porous stone like limestone can be a big problem as the "stain" usually isn't on the surface where it can be cleaned off. Your dealing with stuff that has gotten into the stone or even worse chemically etched or transformed the stone.

sam floor voted this post useful.
Old 05-14-21, 11:15 AM
P
Well I guess I’m experimenting with trying to stain it back or busting out the tiles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: