Simple tiling questions for some?

Old 05-17-21, 07:12 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simple tiling questions for some?

Hi There

Looking to get some advice on how to:

1 Tile outside corner see attached #1

2 Tile inside corner see attached #2 (if I am using 1/8" grout line, do I make sure that remains the same for this corner? #1 Do I run one tile into the wall and give 1/8" gap on the tile adjacent wall? #2 Do I treat it like a mitre?)

3 End tile on open wall see attached #3

4 End tile on outside corner.

Attached Tile 1 and 2 show the type of tile being used.

Thanks

James

Old 05-17-21, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 988 Votes on 899 Posts
When making an outside corner with tile you want to use bullnosed tile for the overlap. Other option is to terminate into a schlueter outside corner. Everywhere else where the tile stops you should probably look into a schlueter edge profile that you can terminate the tile into.

Old 05-18-21, 12:18 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
If bullnose is available that will resolve all the areas.

If not available then the tile itself needs to be looked at. Some tiles are thick with rough edges so they cant be exposed, others are thin with a clean edge and the tile and finish are the same color.

For the latter I have installed and put in a small beveled edge of grout or a bead of color matching caulk.

Unfortunately your tiles have a different color glaze than the tile itself so it's probably going to be visable!

Old 05-18-21, 04:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I hate to say it but some of your questions really need to be asked when you are choosing tiles. Some tiles simply don't offer a good way to handle some situations like outside corners for example. For a professional looking install you need to find out if the tile you want has the pieces you need to do the job. Many tiles are more intended for flat accent walls while others are intended more for practical use and also have matching bullnose and pencil tiles so you can handle corners and odd situations.

Old 05-18-21, 09:26 AM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Edging & Outside Wall Corners | For Walls | Profiles | schluter.com

Take a look at these profiles for the outside corners. For the inside corners, your diagram 1 is the right one.

Old 05-18-21, 11:29 AM
J
thanks much, this will help.

One more question, when terminating to the schluter trim do I leave a gap for grout or finish as close as possible and caulk?

Old 05-18-21, 02:16 PM
J
See attached pictures on question about cupboards.

Old 05-21-21, 07:53 AM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
One more question, when terminating to the schluter trim do I leave a gap for grout or finish as close as possible and caulk?
Clean the thinset out of the joint. Then grout it. No caulk needed.

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-21-21 at 04:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: