Please help I'm lost! Salvage Tile around Jacuzzi.

Old 06-10-21, 04:27 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help I'm lost! Salvage Tile around Jacuzzi.

I just moved into an apartment my parents built for my kids and I to live in after a horrible speration. I'm now an unemployed single mom of four, super stressed and physically exhausted from the move. I just wanted to take a bath and relax the first night in my parents "barndominium", but my bath was abruptly interrupted by my daughter yelling that the ceiling was leaking out the light fixture and air vent below me. After inspection, granted by a 35 year old woman with very little construction experience (my ex was a carpenter but never would teach me anything though I actively wanted to learn but that's besides the point sorry), I thought the issue was only that it wasn't sealed around the tub which I hadn't noticed and just assumed that my mother who is the one that tiled and grouted would have sealed it as well. When I got there the tub was filthy so before getting in I washed it and rinsed it with the shower head attachment assuming it was ok to get the tile and tub wet, but I was so wrong. So all the water from the shower head would have went down the cracks onto the base bellow I am guessing and that is why it leaked but I very well could be wrong. Then after a closer inspection I noticed lipage, cracked grout, tiles falling off at access door, and what appears to be mold possibly growing now, it's been about a week but I haven't had the time because I'm doing all the moving and unpacking alone for myself and 4 kids. I have watched YouTube videos but I am not really getting the straight answers I need. I need to salvage this tub at a minimum cost because I have zero income but I want to insure I pride myself on quality work when I do a project, I usually have no clue what I'm doing and learn from YouTube but I still always try to do my best. Can I salvage the tile or do I need to rip it out? The tub creaks a big in one corner when pressure is put on it, is that a problem? Can I just bleach the mold? Do I have to tear out all grout or just cracked areas? I have MAPEI Flexcolor CQ. Any help would be so much appreciated. I really want that bath 😂

Last edited by EELinabox; 06-10-21 at 05:05 AM.

Popular Reply

06-10-21, 07:42 AM
Marq1
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
that the ceiling was leaking out the light fixture and air vent below me
So before you go ripping the unit out, you need to determine if your looking at a plumbing leak!

All the sloshing around, even with cracked grout, bad caulk, I find it hard to believe that would allow enough water to pass that would fill up a light/vent fixture.

I'd bet you have a plumbing leak somewhere under that tub that is the root cause!

Old 06-10-21, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
Not sure how a bath (in a tub) would have anything to do with tile (on the walls) leaking, since the tile would be dry. Don't know what to tell you when we can't see what you are seeing.

In all likelihood nothing was done correctly and it all needs to come out, including the tub... if it creaks it wasn't set correctly.

Old 06-10-21, 04:38 AM
Received 372 Votes on 337 Posts
FWIW, I'm not very familiar with hot tubs or Jacuzzi's. But what stands out to me most is then fact you say it creaks at one corner. That can mean several things. Might be rotted wood. Might be poorly fixed in place when 1st installed. Unless that is fixed, all the other problems will re-occur, even if you could fix them.
Pictures might help the experts here give you better insight. But my thoughts are that this is beyond your scope of abilities and should be done by professionals. Based on what you wrote it seems to me a complete tear out and replacement will be needed. I hope I'm wrong but that is the way I see it.

Last edited by Norm201; 06-10-21 at 05:34 AM. Reason: fixed grammar
Old 06-10-21, 05:11 AM
E
Sorry poor internet

I'm very sorry I fixed my description but it was not uploaded correctly and none of the many pictures I took were successfully uploaded either 😒🤦🏼‍♀️ went from city to way out in the sticks and I'm not used to having 5 Mbps download speed the internet is not cooperating but I'm trying to get photos and the full description posted I'm sorry for the partial post before. However I'm getting the feeling the responses are not in my favor oh well where there is a will there is a way I will do my best to get photos on inside through access.

Old 06-10-21, 05:26 AM
E
More photos

Old 06-10-21, 05:32 AM
All your photo's came through. To be honest I can't see anything wrong with looking at these photo's. I think this is the kind of thing that one who knows his/her stuff needs to be there and able to see close up and inspect what can't be transmitted via photo.

Old 06-10-21, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
The photos help, and your edited description makes more sense.

We can't see if the tub was set in a bed of mortar, (bet its not) but it should have been, which makes it rock solid with no creaking or vibration. Just by looking at the tile its pretty obvious the tub wasn't set correctly. You typically have spacers installed when the tub is set so that your cement board and tile can go UNDER the lip of the tub. (There is a gap where the tile meets the tub) Also kind of poor design to have the tub so tight to the back walls... that speaks to how it was planned and framed. The cement board should have been covered with a membrane or redgard waterproofing prior to tile. And then all inside corners and the tub perimeter would get caulked with a matching grout caulk.

Since tearing it all out and starting over probably isn't in the cards, you will likely just need to make due with caulk. Caulking to match the color and texture of the grout is sold in the tile aisle at the store, so I would suggest you use that... not the tube of Lexel in your photo.

And you will obviously need to be more cautious with how you clean it next time. Scrubbing bubbles and a rag... not the shower hose.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 06-10-21, 07:14 AM
Received 117 Votes on 101 Posts
Maybe not an answer to your problem but possibly some things to look for:

See this thread for information about a cracked inlet spout on a Jacuzzi installed in 1987. The connection probably failed due to age and stress during installation.

Also note the square knob to the right of the spout in the first (bottom) picture in that thread. The valves below those knobs sit in plastic wells that are fused or glued to the fiberglas shell of the tub. The two of them are visible on the left in the second picture. One of them cracked at that point and when a cleaning person used the handheld shower head to rinse the tile wall above it water went through.

Another leak was caused by leaking pipe joints to the water jets, probably caused by aging glue joints.

One of two leaking connections at jets.

Solution: Plastic electrical boxes and drain to outside.

My Panasonic camera has an app that allows remote control from an iPad or tablet so I was able to snake the camera into position and then take the pictures remotely. A cell phone may also be used to take pictures inside the access opening.

Since my piping was at an outside wall I had to make an access point through the exterior.

Last edited by 2john02458; 06-10-21 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Outside access.
Old 06-10-21, 07:42 AM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
that the ceiling was leaking out the light fixture and air vent below me
So before you go ripping the unit out, you need to determine if your looking at a plumbing leak!

All the sloshing around, even with cracked grout, bad caulk, I find it hard to believe that would allow enough water to pass that would fill up a light/vent fixture.

I'd bet you have a plumbing leak somewhere under that tub that is the root cause!

2john02458, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 06-10-21, 09:05 AM
E
Marc1

With my internet being so laggy I've had a hard time getting all of my pictures and description to go through it keeps resetting my post and erasing things I've typed, a bit irritating and I apologize. I was actually using the shower head attachment to clean the tile around the tub, but this was before I knew it had never been caulked or sealed, my mother did the tile work and just laid it and grouted. So I was spraying quite a bit of water up on the walls and rinsing them clean thinking it would all run into the tub however the gap between the tub and tile was allowing all the water to run down to the floor instead. Once I realized this I tested my theory by running the bath and using the jets and draining it but not getting any water out of tub and it did not leak through, but with the tile not caulked I didn't want to use it so I was going to use the sealer around the tub and thought it would be good to go but before I could I noticed the grout chipping out in lots of areas and a piece of tile coming off and the black staining in the corner of some of the tiles, I realize this is probably just staining not mold now that I tried using some bleach bathroom cleaner in the tile. So I should have been more clear that I tested the leak theory but I am concerned now that the reason this is happening with the grout cracking is because they didn't set the tub correctly and I can't really afford to rip it out so I just need to figure out how to stabilize the tub the best I can and caulk around the tub and then regroup the areas where the group chipped out around the tiles from what I am understanding based on the other gentlemen's reply, thank you all so much you are such blessings you do a great and worthy service on this platform! I'm going to try to get a photo of what the tub is set in and reply with it sorry my internet will probably make it take forever to upload.

I am not sure some of these may be repeats I still have to take the other photo of what the tub is sitting on if I can. If not I guess I will just assume it was set wrong bc I'm sure it was. Is there any way to sturdy it it only creaks on corner in front by the access door. Also with the gaps in the grout I can just clean out and fill the gaps right I don't have to regrout all of the grout do I? And once the groutdries on the tile is there anything that can take the gaze out?

Old 06-10-21, 09:21 AM
figure out how to stabilize the tub the best I can
I'll toss this suggestion out and see what the others think--expanding spray foam insulation between the tub (or its platform) and floor? Might depend on how big a gap you have or can make where it creaks. Maybe a wedge and then foam.

Old 06-10-21, 09:30 AM
Per John's suggestion. Can't hurt. But I don't think expanding foam will stand the compression and weight of water and a person in the tub.

Old 06-10-21, 02:44 PM
Cured foam is quite stiff.. Sure you can poke a hole in it but trying to squash it with something larger than a finger is difficult. The bigger the glob the harder it is to squash.

Old 06-10-21, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Moderators note to the op:

Please type in short paragraphs. You will find that you get more replies if your posts are shorter, with less fluff and they will be easier to read.

2john02458 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: