Ceramic Tile Cracking

Old 07-06-01, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have ceramic tile in a new home (2 years old we had it built) that has hairline cracks throughout. The tile is a Grade 5 - Italian Tile that has a lifetime warranty against wear. We had a contractor look at it who told us it was installed incorrectly. The builder used 3/4" plywood and 1/2" wonderboard. Does anyone know where I can get some reference material on the proper installation of tile? We are in the process of suing the builder (there are other things he won't fix.....) In order to save attorney fees I would like to obtain refernce material to support the fact the tile was installed incorrectly. FYI this tile is throughout my foyer (good size) guest bathroom and kitchen which has professional appliances (Viking Range, Subzero Refrigerator...) which are quite heavy. When you walk on the floor you can hear plates etc.. rattling in the cupboards.

Thanks,

Lina

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-01, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Lina,

My friend Dave Gobis (Ceramic Tile Education Foundation) insists that the Tile Council of America is the supreme authority on tile installation is this country, and in your situation I think he's right.

The standards are set by the American National Standards Institue (ANSI). A-108 governs the installation of ceramic tiles. The Tile Council of America also puts out a handbook that you can buy for about $10.

Check with Dave. [email protected]

Regards,

John

Old 01-08-03, 11:31 AM
WaxPete
Visiting Guest
I know this post is old as heck... but I'm wondering, why is 3/4 ply with 1/2 wonder the wrong thing? Every book I've read says to use it!... so what should have been used?

Thanks, Dan

Old 01-08-03, 05:59 PM
3/4" plywood with 1/2" cementboard is just fine. But these are not the only considerations. The plate rattling comment indicates that the problem is not with those -- the problem is with the sizing, span and spacing of the joists. They are likely sufficient for minimum building codes (which allows some floor bounce), but not good enough for tile.

Old 01-08-03, 07:26 PM
WaxPete
Visiting Guest
Ahhh!

I thought so!

Thanks, Dan

Old 01-09-03, 04:12 AM
Dave Gobis
Visiting Guest
Building code in most parts of the country requires L/360 for dimensional lumber and L/480 engineered joist. All tile installation require a minimum of L/360 by design critera. However, the L/360 applies to the entire floor including area inbetween the joist which is not a code issue. Speaking from average test data per ASTM C-627, this requires a min. of 5/8 T&G ply Underlay rated on 16" centers. That set-up will get you about .35 deflection, if you go to 3/4, it will be about .15. The maximum allowed on 16"centers or 14.5" of clear span would be .40. 1/2" board is recommended for a min. of 5/8 ply and 1/4" over 3/4. Minimum is a keyword.

Old 01-09-03, 07:36 AM
WaxPete
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Dave,

I'll admit it, I understood about 10% of what you just said.

Old 01-09-03, 10:13 AM
Dave Gobis
Visiting Guest
Well, that wasn't the intent. But to break it down would require a lot of typing and time. Lot of guys "been doing it 20 years" and don't understand either. If I get sometime I will come back and break it down one of these days.

Old 01-09-03, 12:56 PM
WaxPete
Visiting Guest
L/Ok L/LOL L/Thanks for sharing...

Old 01-09-03, 01:00 PM
WaxPete
Visiting Guest
Ok... for anyone that stumbles on this thread... and is as stupid as I am...

http://www.ufpi.com/market/oj/builder/info/480_15.htm

there is a link to the right on that page that talks more about the things he was talking about.

HTH,

Pete

Old 01-09-03, 06:49 PM
LVFGEF
Visiting Guest
Smile Ceramic Tile Cracking

Thanks to all who have replied. We had the house inspected along with the tile. And the floor joists are the problem. They are too far apart for the span of the area so there is too much flexation which is causing the tile to crack. Unfortunately, because of the time and expense involved in correcting the problem we have had to obtain an attorney in order to get the builder to fix the problem.

Wish us luck!

Old 01-09-03, 09:23 PM
Remember warranties and guarantees don't start until it is installed to industry standards.
Remember also, the word "recall" is for defective workmanship.

Old 01-10-03, 05:12 AM
WaxPete
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Now that really is a shame! I wish you the best of luck.

Pete