Fireplace surround tile edge

Old 11-11-22, 01:38 PM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fireplace surround tile edge

Hi, Installed marble tiles around fireplace insert (over existing ceramic tiles which was probably a mistake) and wondering how hard it is to DIY a 1" strip with rounded edge from the spare tiles I have. Would you use an angle grinder to start or what tools are used to get progressively smoother finish - maybe just a palm sander? I would take to a fabricator but in my experience they dont like small jobs. Tiles also likely to break but perhaps round over first then cut to ~1" wide strips. The original builder left raw tile edge also so seems to be typical but its an eyesore.

Alternative would be metal flashing painted black but its hard to cut metal flashing neatly with hand tools. I have a table saw but would have to see if a metal cutting blade available.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 11-11-22, 02:46 PM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
You have a situation here the newer tile has separated from the base tile. There is no simple fix, both should be removed and replaced with new material, It's such a small simple job to do it right!.

Old 11-11-22, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,409 Posts
I don't know why you wouldn't create a border with a tile pencil trim that is the right width instead.

Old 11-12-22, 06:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
You just need to start over.

Old 11-12-22, 10:25 AM
A
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I don't know why you wouldn't create a border with a tile pencil trim that is the right width instead."

Agreed, this is what the original ceramic tile installer should have done but they used the kitchen floor tiles which probably did not have any available trim pieces - that is marble on top of the ceramic which I installed so I would have to make the trim myself. Starting over does not solve the problem, would still need trim pieces to cover the edge and no tiles are loose, its actually been almost 10 years since I did the marble + wood surround, trying to tie up loose ends.

IMO for high end work the edge of a tile should never be visible. For the original ceramic install, they tried to cover the edges with grout but it just made a mess.

I saw the home center has 1" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock. Will paint it black and cover the edges. Most of the marble sides seem to be dead straight (will have to cut some ceramic tile protrusions) so it should be fairly tight to the edges.

Thanks for the replies

Old 11-13-22, 04:32 AM
Received 996 Likes on 905 Posts
If you use wall tiles they come with bull nose edges.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: