Shower pan liner

Old 11-28-22, 04:29 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Shower pan liner

Where can one get more information on properly installing a shower surround, complete with waterproofing membrane, composite tile backer board, ceramic tile and grout. Where can the membrane be purchased? Is that something that Home Depot or Lowes sells? I have never seen it. I've seen a number of shower walls around a tub installed with tile backer and ceramic time, but never the waterproofing membrane. I have a nephew that is getting started on a new house now and I'd like to be able to advise him.

Old 11-28-22, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Here is an example... https://www.lowes.com/collections/Oa...ll-Kit/GR_1110

Any box store should have it.

Old 11-28-22, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, that's some good information. I assume that membrane must also run up the walls behind the tile backer, is that right. The can of Oatey cement, is that to seal the membrane? I also assume that all membrane joints must be sealed. Is this same membrane the stuff you use over the cement tile backer board on the walls when installing a tile surround around a tub? Then, the ceramic tile gets stuck on the membrane?

Old 11-28-22, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
There are several ways to go about it. If you are using a liner, yes it runs behind the tile backer. You often shim the walls above the liner so that there is no hump for the backer to jump/bulge over. The cement is to glue corners onto the membrane, such as at the corners of your curbs.

Without knowing your entire plan, it's hard to give specifics or suggestions. But this will get you pointed in the right direction.

You could Google "Floor Elf", he has some very good pages on how to make a mortar slope, and tile membrane, like I linked to above. It's about 5 pages of good reading.

Other products (other than a membrane pan) are Kerdi and Ditra. There are Kerdi kits if you are flush with cash, and they have very specific directions and lots of videos out there. If you are keen on using cement board on your walls, you can apply Redgard over it as your membrane. All different ways to accomplish the same thing. Basically everything is completely waterproof, and runs into the drain before you ever put any tile on.

Old 11-28-22, 10:19 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The Ditra material is a slightly cheaper version of Kerdi but the membrane materials are by far the ultimate /fool proof system available. The preformed shower pans eliminate one of the biggest challenges, a mud pan, and they make lots of accessories from curbs, shelves, niches to add unique detail with materials that will never rot away.

This was my walk in shower project from about 10 years ago.

Old 11-29-22, 10:57 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
I agree with Marq. I'm a huge Kerdi convert (haven't used Ditra, but very similar). It's easy to use, easy to apply, and close to foolproof.

My preference is either a tub or plastic shower pan, Durock, then Kerdi Membrane over it. I haven't had the chance yet to do a 'custom' shower pan with the Kerdi system, but I absolutely would.

I used the Kerdi Board for one tub/shower surround. It's basically foam board with the waterproof membrane built in. It was great working with instead of cement board, but ended up taking more time due to having to seal over each screw attachment. I'll stick with the membrane over cement board.

Old 11-30-22, 04:01 PM
If you are using a liner, yes it runs behind the tile backer.
So when applying the waterproofing membrane it goes behind the tile backer board? I thought it went over the board and then tile was applied to the membrane.

​​​​​​​ If you are keen on using cement board on your walls, you can apply Redgard over it as your membrane.
I see Home Depot shows this product on their site and I like what I saw, just apply two coats over the cement tile backer board. I am thinking if doing a ceramic tile surround above a bathtub I'd be inclined to go with this stuff, it looks pretty easy.

​​​​​​​ I'll stick with the membrane over cement board.
Would this be easier than the Redgard system?

Old 11-30-22, 04:38 PM
Would this be easier than the Redgard system?
Only issues I have heard regarding Reguard is that being a liquid it seals good on flat surfaces but in corners any movement can cause a tear in the material which can allow a leak.

Old 11-30-22, 05:35 PM
Group Moderator
So when applying the waterproofing membrane it goes behind the tile backer board? I thought it went over the board and then tile was applied to the membrane.
when using the membrane as a shower pan, and applying it over the top of a preslope concrete floor, the pan goes up the walls about 12", as shown in this image below. Then the backer board on the walls goes over it. You don't fasten the bottom of the backer board so as to avoid piercing the membrane. The sloped mortar bed you place on TOP of the membrane holds the backerboard back tight on bottom. Your tile goes on the concrete you pour on top of the membrane... not directly on the membrane itself. If you are confused by that, do the reading I suggested at floor Elf dot com, how to create a shower floor.

Yes, Redgard is easy, and there is no reason it would rip or tear anywhere -even in corners- because its applied onto the surface of the backerboard, the backerboard seams and corners are all mortared and fiberglass taped and the backerboard does not move... barring an earthquake or other structural movement.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 12-01-22, 12:44 AM
If you want some real in depth discussion about shower systems, materials, and methods, spend some time here, I think you'll find out quickly what is considered good, better, best!

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...isplay.php?f=1

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: