Shower tiling using a Delta 500 Acrylic Shower pan

Old 12-21-22, 07:30 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Shower tiling using a Delta 500 Acrylic Shower pan

Hello,

I am going to tile my bathroom shower. Need some advice since what i am seeing on the internet is quite conflicting. I added Durock just above the shower pan flange. The backer board and the flange are flat so the tile will sit flat against the wall, however, this flange is curved so if the tile goes down to the base there is a little greater than 1/4" gap. So ~ 1.5 of the tile would not be adhered since thinset does not adhere to the acrylic pan. Is this ok, or should i look at somehow gluing the bottom 1.5" tile to the screw flange? Tile in this location will be cut 7" but tile is 12X12. Any advice is much appreciated. I will be redgarding everythng. 1st pic is from the Delta 500 manual. Square area is what i am talking about. It is a gap void. Is this OK. It doesn't make me comfortable that the tile will have not attachment here.

Old 12-24-22, 06:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Yes, I would grind the tile so it maintains the same grout line gap around the lip. Then, use color matched caulk for the seam/joint where the wall tile meets the shower pan. If you use grout for that joint it will most likely crack.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-25-22, 07:56 AM
J
Thank you and Merry Christmas

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 12-22-22, 04:40 AM
Received 649 Upvotes on 574 Posts
No thinnest or glue necessary against the shower pan. Yes, you're doing it correctly. You should use the recommended caulk when sealing the tile to the pan. I did mine last year and used the caulk supplied by the shower pan manufacturer, but I don't remember the brand. Any tile store should have the right stuff or contact the shower pan manufacturer.
You could use a strip of caulking along the shower pan edge where the tile contacts as you cement the tile to the Duralok, but that's over kill. The main purpose of the shower pan lip is to prevent wicking of water or moisture to the sheetrock. Unless the pan gets flooded and there might be gaps in the caulking, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 12-22-22, 05:25 AM
J
thank you

Old 12-22-22, 06:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
What you are doing is OK for big tiles like you have.

For those who may have a similar situation but with small tile pieces and is almost required to do it differently for small penny tile. With small tiles I shim out the wall so cement board or Hardie Backer can extend over the shower pan's lip. I let the cement/Hardie extend down to within about 1/4" of the shower pan. This provides support and a place to thinset small tiles in place. Bigger tiles have plenty of space up on the wall to be held in position and don't need the backer to extend down over the pan's lip.

Old 12-23-22, 07:22 PM
J
Delta Acrylic shower pan

Hello,

On to another issue. I have completed all of the Durock install. My 12x12 tile will sit in the shower pan of the floor ~ 1/8"off the bottom. I notcied that the front of the shower pan has a notch on both the right and left side. How do I deal with that when I am installing the first row of tile. Do I have to notch the tile? I was going to tile right up to the end of the Durock. See pictures.

Old 12-24-22, 09:50 AM
I agree with PD.
I never saw a pan with that type of rounded edge that will be up against a wall. Should that not be the entrance perhaps?

Old 12-24-22, 07:39 PM
J
Shower pan

Yes it is in the front entrance not the back wall. The rounded edge extends to the middle on both the left and right sides maybe 6". I am not confident I will get the rounded edge to look right, I am a newbie with tile. Any tool suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 12-25-22, 07:37 AM
Using a grinder or a maybe a hole saw, try to get the roundness as close as possible. Grout will fill-in any voids and it will look good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: