Cracked sticky tiles

Old 02-01-23, 09:51 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracked sticky tiles

We just moved into our house not 2 months ago. Seller had sticky tiles installed in half bath after foundation issues were repaired in crawl space. Currently, tiles are not evenly spaced and, as I've mopped, I've found 2 cracked tiles already. One is behind toilet and other is near the clothes washer. As I mopped, I noticed the surface of the floor is uneven. At least one sticky tile is a little higher than the rest. There are gaps in between the tiles that have no grout in them and a large gap is behind the door to the room where they've cut too large a clearance for the tile to go in and then not sealed it. My concerns: how possible is it that the seller didn't repair the crawl space properly, that there are leaks, that the subfloor has major issues, etc.? Should we be concerned about other possible issues? Thank you.

Old 02-02-23, 04:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Sticky tiles? You mean peel and stick vinyl tiles?

How about some pictures - above and below.

Old 02-02-23, 04:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
How old is the house? did you have an inspection prior to purchasing?
Peel and stick tiles are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to floor covering. They may have been used just to dress it up some for sale.

Old 02-02-23, 05:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I don't think any of this is related to the foundation though I suppose it's possible. I think it is a bad flooring material for a bathroom. The big issue is water. NO liquid water should ever be on the floor. You can vacuum and damp mop/Swiffer and make sure bath mats are used where people step out of the tub/shower. Insure that the shower curtain or door keeps ALL the water inside the shower. If any water does hit the floor, dry it immediately.

Do not wet mop. Vinyl floor squares are not waterproof. When you mop water seeps into the space between the tiles, wicks between the tile and wood subfloor. It also soaks into the wood causing it to swell a bit. All of this unsticks the tiles.

Be especially concerned with any tiles that become loose or move near the toilet or tub/shower, especially the toilet. Since you have tiles behind the toilet moving I would pull the toilet and check to see if the wax ring is leaking.

I don't think any of this is related to the foundation though I suppose it's possible. I think it is a bad flooring material for a bathroom. The big issue is water. NO liquid water should ever be on the floor. You can vacuum and damp mop/Swiffer and make sure bath mats are used where people step out of the tub/shower. Insure that the shower curtain or door keeps ALL the water inside the shower. If any water does hit the floor, dry it immediately.

Old 02-03-23, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
You mention grout, but peel and stick don't have grout. We could use some pictures.

Old 02-03-23, 11:33 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Was this a "repair" job prior to the sale or the closing? If so you have recourse to have it fixed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: