Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Smelly water coming out from where the wall meets the floor in the shower

Old 03-14-23, 08:37 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, I removed caulking from shower floor because it was getting moldy but water started coming from where I removed caulking and some of it has a bad odor, I have waited like 2 days but those areas where the wall meets the floor are still humid and some water (not a lot) keeps coming to shower where wall meets floor, what can be the problem? Where would that water be coming from? Should I just re-caulk?

Old 03-14-23, 08:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Check the plumbing.

Old 03-14-23, 08:44 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
You need to investigate further and determine how the water is getting into the wall. Ignore it (or caulk again) and you may be dealing with this soon if not already:

Behind a tiled wall on green board opposite the shower head. Discovered during renovation. No leaks ever appeared in 25 years but the studs were completely rotted.

Last edited by 2john02458; 03-14-23 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-14-23, 10:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Tile & grout is NOT waterproof. The water could be seeping through the grout joints. More likely though is a leaking pipe. But, you MUST find the source of the leak before the repair gets really expensive.

Old 03-14-23, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sorry you're having trouble... but I'm not sure how anyone could answer based on the info you provided. We assume it's a tile wall... or is it some sort of glass board, frp, or a fiberglass surround (you never said) and we don't know much about how any of it was constructed. A tile job on top of a bad substrate (like on drywall) would cause the problems you describe. But yeah, like Pilot Dane said for all we know it could be something like a pinhole in a copper pipe. At this point it is guesswork.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: