Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Advice for an ADA shower that water goes out the door, not down drain?

Old 03-29-23, 01:25 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

This is why I like doing things myself or they don't get done. Don't trust others for their quality.

My son at a big firm in NYC said the company had an area redone and they put in an ADA shower in the bathroom. There's no lip into the shower and it's 35" wide.

The contractor pitched the shower wrong or not at all. So that the water goes out the door opening rather than down the drain in the shower.

His company is getting in touch with the contractor, but he's like me - wants to come up with a fix... and he uses the shower after workouts in the gym they just built also, so he doesn't want to have to deal with cleaning up the rest of the bathroom. He tried a towel, but it soaks up all the water and then more gets past it : )

anyone have suggestions for a dam type of device to keep the water in the shower for the short term.

And short of tearing out the floor / repitching it (is that a big deal?) are there other ways to get the water into the drain?

Grooves that are sloped towards the shower's drain?

Top Answer

03-29-23, 01:47 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Look at garage door dams. It can be cut to length and glued to the bottom and sides of the shower with caulk. They come in different sizes but most are sloped on both sides and rubber so it would be easy on the feet and a wheelchair could go over it if needed.

Old 03-29-23, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Try sandbags... or big athletic socks or panty hose filled with sand. And no, there is no magic wand, it sounds like it will need to be completely redone.

An adjustable shower curtain could be installed temporarily across the shower opening to limit the area that gets wet and reduce how far the water can splatter.

EdShnatter voted this post useful.
Old 03-29-23, 01:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Look at garage door dams. It can be cut to length and glued to the bottom and sides of the shower with caulk. They come in different sizes but most are sloped on both sides and rubber so it would be easy on the feet and a wheelchair could go over it if needed.

EdShnatter, Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-29-23, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
PD beat me to it, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Only down side is water pooling and remaining there after the shower.

Old 03-30-23, 08:47 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The contractor pitched the shower wrong or not at all.
Hope he didn't make the final payment. They didn't do it right, make them fix!

Old 03-30-23, 10:37 AM
E
Hope he didn't make the final payment.
It just boggles my mind how a contractor in NYC, with all the unions / regulations / bloat.... can't do something like sloping a shower correctly.

Maybe not in this situation, but in general.... am I overthinking it / am I wrong in thinking that sometimes the fix will invariably cause other issues?

I haven't seen the shower, but likely tiled. Taking up the floor / grind the slope correctly then retiling the floor with the walls done already - isn't normally the way you tile a shower, right? potentially different shade of grout or something else that makes the redo noticable cosmetically? And / or there's rubber / liners in there to catch water that gets through. And tearing up the tile / mortar risks causing a cut or damage they won't fess up to. It won't be maybe for years till it becomes an issue. Sure, this has to be dealt with. But am I wrong to think that sometimes, you have to leave things as is / get a price break and accept the issue?

We got a bath redo and the people putting in the shower glass cracked a tile.screwing something into the tile. our son noticed that. (they didn't fess up).

They said they could take things down, scrape off caulk they already applied, remove the cracked tile, put in a new tile, and reinstall / recaulk. Didn't interfere functionally. It's cosmetic. We left it as is? I am 90% functional minded. 10% cosmetics. So money they gave us instead of the fix made me feel good. Wife? she grudgingly accepted the cosmetic decline.

Old 03-30-23, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Shower pans have a waterproof membrane, and a drain that the membrane is sealed to... So it's not as simple as remove tile and grind because unless they did an old fashioned dry pack mud slope on top of their membrane... there is nothing to grind.

Old 03-31-23, 04:45 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Does someone using a wheelchair need maneuvering room extending out in front of the toilet or sink? (Thus needing the entire bathroom to himself?) If not then you can put the dam roughly outlining the "shower area" and hanging the curtain there. Otherwise the only attractive and neat place for the dam is at the bathroom door, so someone using the toilet or using the sink is not stumbling over the dam.

The dam will also define the area from which you will have to sweep accumulated water back over to there the floor drain is.

Old 04-02-23, 10:47 AM
E
I mentioned ADA, as I think all bathrooms / construction in at least business / office environments needs to comply with.

But didn't mention that no one there currently is disabled. So the (temporary) solution could be as high as needed without regard to ADA requrements. I mentioned ADA just to describe the no floor lip / ledge construction.

I saw this on istagram yesterday. Joked with my son that he should send it to the contractor.

It'd be funny for him to make a video like this showing this shower and the marbles rolling out the door ; )

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqfiO...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: