Tips on grouting and sealing?

Old 07-23-01, 04:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm nearing the end of my project but I'm very worried about grouting. I've read some places where you can ruin the entire project during this step. I've looked for premixed grout at the Home Depot but I can't find it. I've read that the grout should be the consitancey of peanut butter but are they talking about the thick stuff you buy like Jif or the runny stuff they use to spoon on my plate in the school lunch room. Surely there must be proper measurements for water and grout. Also how long should I let the grout set before applying a sealent and which sealer seems to work the best? I want to thank everyone that has helped me on this project. This a great website!
Thank You!

Old 07-23-01, 08:45 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grout. It's the one thing that gives us the most problems, it seems. Adanac and I and a bunch of other tile pros conduct almost a contiuous dialog on the subject, trying to figue out the best way to do it.

First of all, forget the pre-mixed stuff. If it works at all, it doesn't work well, and besides that, I don't think they even make it for floors. Just forget it.

The grout to use is a sanded version that contains acrylic polymers. You add water to it. It's essentially cement. Custom's Polyblend, for example, is sold at Home Depot.

Mix it to the consistency of "Skippy" peanut butter. It's creamy, but it still has substance. You have to be able to easily force the grout into the joints with the grout float, but at the same time you don't want any excess water in the joints. You should experiment in a small area with a small amount of grout. I don't know how many quarts of water go into a bag of grout, etc.

When washing the grout, use as little water as possible in the sponge. When the joints are straight and the surface is clean, stop. If there is a little haze, it can be cleaned off later.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 07-23-01, 10:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you! Just one question.

How long do I have to wait to put a sealer on it and which one would you recommend? Thanks again!

Old 07-23-01, 10:39 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would wait a couple days, just to make sure everything's dry.

Use grout sealer from Aquamix

http://www.aquamix.com

John

Old 07-24-01, 08:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

I am about 2/3 done tiling my 1400 sq ft house and want to share what I have learned so far.

The guide I use for determining if my grout mix is thick enough has worked well. I have also been told about the peanut butter consistency before, but I still lack the experience of mixing peanut butter in a 5 gallon bucket.

My rule of thumb is to mix the grout to a consistency where there is a thin shine on the top of the mud, and when you pull out the mixing tool the grout will show where you pull out the tool and not fall back down. When I started I would run my mortar trowel over the top. The grooves formed by the trowel would remain standing in the grout. If its too wet, they would fall down. Too dry and the grooves would break apart and not form well.

Note: For mixing mortar the trowel groves should fall over, but not be reabsorbed into the mortar mix.

As for the sealing the recommendation is to mop the newly grouted floor 3 times a day for the next 3 days after grouting and then let it dry for a week and then seal it. If you can afford to wait this long go for it. Currently I do the mopping routine for 2 days and then run a box fan in the room for 2 days and then seal.

I have found that the mopping step is critical! At least in my project. The mopping redistributes moisture through the grout during the curing process and this results in a mor uniform color. In one area I did not mop and the grout now has a marble type appearance while the other areas look fine. Of course this is only noticable on darker grouts (I am using grey) and you will only notice it if you look for it.

One thing I have found out while doing tile myself is that the person that does the tile really examines the finished product. With this amount of work its hard to imaging not looking for ways to improve the outcome.

The tile sealer I am using is made by Tile Labs from Home Depot. I also picked up a sealant applicator which is basically a squeeze ketchup bottle with a brush applicator. I think it was 5 or 6 bucks, which is ridiculous when you think about what you are actually buying but it is WELL WORTH IT!!! I would say it cut down my sealing time by 75%. Remember that you will be resealing every 2 or 3 years and every 6 months for wet areas.

Hope this helps.
_DM

Old 07-25-01, 03:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank You!

The guide I use for determining if my grout mix is thick enough has worked well. I have also been told about the peanut butter consistency before, but I still lack the experience of mixing peanut butter in a 5 gallon bucket.

Geez! Every other weekend I invite my family over and we sit out on the deck while I mash and mix peanut butter in a 5 gallon bucket. I thought everyone does that! LOL!

My rule of thumb is to mix the grout to a consistency where there is a thin shine on the top of the mud, and when you pull out the mixing tool the grout will show where you pull out the tool and not fall back down. When I started I would run my mortar trowel over the top. The grooves formed by the trowel would remain standing in the grout. If its too wet, they would fall down. Too dry and the grooves would break apart and not form well.

Note: For mixing mortar the trowel groves should fall over, but not be reabsorbed into the mortar mix.

Thank you! THat is a very pratical way of determining if you have the right mix. From what it sounds like you are saying that the grout mix should be a bit thicker then the mortar mix?

Thanks again for the tips!

Old 07-25-01, 01:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Exactly, just a bit thicker for the grout.

I start the mix with about 1/2 inch of water and then add 1/2 bag of grout. This worked fine for me, as I can notice the grout getting harder to spread near the end.

Also, get a cheap squirt bottle and mist the tiles before you apply the grout. This makes spreading alot easier.

Good Luck!
_DM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: