Sealing Slate

Old 07-26-01, 02:27 PM
Nadine
Visiting Guest
This is yet another question about sealing. I read the questions from others in regards to sealing and grouting and it appears that the replies says to seal the tile after grouting. When talking to the "expert" at Home Depot, he told me to seal the slate (only the tops) first, before applying it down. My question, does is matter if I seal the slate first? Thanks for your assistance.

Old 07-26-01, 05:32 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Nadine,

It appears that for once the "expert" isn't too far off the mark. If you are going to seal the slate anyway, you can apply a coat to the surface of the tiles either before or after installation (prior to grouting). The sealer will keep the grout from soaking into the surface. Be careful not to get sealer on the edges where the grout goes, though.

I don't bother with the process. I set the slate, grout and then seal.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 07-26-01, 06:31 PM
Nadine
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your assistance about sealing the slate. As I was looking through the slates (130 of them), I noticed that slate pieces were flaking off in some areas and others had some holes that showed some "rust" or something. How do I know which slate to use, or rather, what should I look for in "good" slate pieces to lay down. By the way, the area that I'm doing is my front porch that is about 80 square feet. Thank you again.

Old 07-27-01, 08:54 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nadine,

Slate is one of the softest stones. It is flaked or cleaved off the larger rock with a chisel. The "rust" is part of the deal.

Maybe you would like a ceramic or porcelain tile that resembles slate. It's much easier on the upkeep.

John

Old 08-02-01, 09:29 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slate floors

You may find the info at http://www.stonecare.com useful re: cleaning, sealing, maintaining natural stone products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: