Base Molding Tile

Old 08-01-01, 09:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have cut ceramic floor tile to use as a base molding in my bathroom. Several questions are arising here.
1. Is there any reason why the cut side of the base tiles should not sit directly on the floor tile?
2. Should the line where the two meet be grouted, caulked, or neither?
3. Should the corners of the base be miter cut or one butted against the other?
4. Should those corners be grouted, caulked, or neither.

I was planning to put a tile cap on the top of the base tile for a more finished look than caulk. Just what would be the best way to install that. Install the tile then slide the cap behind it? Would this mess up the mortar? Please advise.

Thanks a whole bunch. Your site is great!

ARB

Old 08-02-01, 05:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't know how you're doing it, but the wall and floor will probably move independently, so caulking would be the best thing for that joint. When you set the wall pieces, wedge them up maybe a sixteenth to make room for the caulking.

The corners are usually overlapped if they won't be seen from above (you mentioned installing cap).

And on installing cap is where you completely lost me, and that's not hard to do. It's been happening more and more lately.

John

Old 08-03-01, 05:19 AM
Visiting Guest
John, Thank you for your help. I have that confusion thing going somethimes too. Let me try and "find you". The cap I am refering to is a vinyl j-channel type thing that covers the edge of the tile and goes down the back side to be held in place between the wall and the tile and secured with mortar. I am thinking the best way might be to install the tiles and the cap at the ends of the wall first, then fill in the others cementing the cap as they are installed. Am I overthinking this? The cap is fairly flexible, being vinyl and all.

I think it will look great when it is done. I was told that girls can't do tile. I think I've proved them wrong.

Thanks again,
ARB

Old 08-03-01, 01:26 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I get the picture. I think I would start at one end, pushing the channel down behind the pieces as I went along. You should be able to arrange some sort of miter in the corners by using sissors or snips. Is your "channel" a Schluter trim, or something else?

On our board, we are presently instructing 4 women in various parts of the country (one in Canada) on how to build their own ceramic tile showers, including mud floors. I have great faith in girl power.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: