Ceramic tile on vinyl

Old 08-03-01, 09:15 PM
gfields
Visiting Guest
Question

I am preparing to lay tile in my kitchen. My subfloor is from the joist up is 1/2 inch plywood with 5/8 inch particle board. I have two layers of vinyl down now one put down in the seventies the other in late 80's. I took the tile class at Home Depot and was told by the instructor that I could put 1/4 inch wonderboard over the vinyl set the wonderboard in thinset and screw it down to the floor and begin to lay tile. I left the class and talked to another geneleman in the flooring section and he told me that laying tile over the existing floor absolutely should not be done unless the particle board is removed and replaced with 3/4 inch plywood. Which one is right. Thanks

Old 08-04-01, 08:02 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Particle board has fallen out of favor with most floor layers because it's so unstable. It swells quite a bit when it gets damp.

On the other hand, the vinyl should sort of seal it off. Hmm.

My house? I'd go over the vinyl with the backer board.

John

Old 08-04-01, 08:31 PM
gfields
Visiting Guest
Thanks John I am about to dig the particle board out when I figure a way to cut around the offset undr my cabinets. I went back by Home Depot today and the guy who told me last week I could go over the existing floor told was more hesitant than before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: