porcelain tile on plywood subfloor

Old 08-05-01, 09:58 PM
sabb65
Visiting Guest
I would like some advice on what's the best way to install porcelain tile on plywood subfloor. Any recommendation on how to prepare the surface other than cleaning it? Someone had mentioned to lay out some mesh to bind the tiles. It's a tiny kitchen floor so I'd like to do the job myself though I've never done before. I'd appreciate any advice or recommendation on how to begin. Thank you,

Sabina

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-01, 03:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Sabina,

I think you need to put cement backer board over the plywood, then the tile. I say "I think" because you haven't told us much. What's on the floor now, and how thick is the plywood? How big are the joists underneath, and how close together are they?

John

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 05-23-13 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-07-01, 05:07 PM
sabb65
Visiting Guest
John,
The plywd is 3/4" thick and the floor is quite even. I chipped up the old ceramic tile, the type with self adhesive backing on paper. (It was just glued on top of plywd.) The new tile I had already bought is the 3/8" thk. porcelain floor tile with rough edges. How thick is this cement board? I think the subfloor is built up from concrete floor level about 1-1/2" up to top of plywd. (It's an apartment building in the city and the kitchen floor is only about 35 sqft.)is there any way to minimize the building-up like using glue of some sort? Do I need the cement board because of the moisture of the grout? Please advise further if you can. Thanks.

Sabina

Old 08-08-01, 03:17 PM
J
Hi Sabina,

You are confusing me (it's easy) by mentioning self-adhesive tiles. Do you mean ceramic mosaics that were held together with perforated paper?

You are supposed to use cement backer (1/4 in.) because the plywood can be unstable. But if you want to put the tiles directly on the plywood, use modified thin set as your adhesive. Read the back of the bag to make sure the product is specified for wood substrates. Chances are your floor will hold up fine. No guarantees, though.

John

Old 08-08-01, 05:27 PM
sabb65
Visiting Guest
John,
Thanks for info.
Yes, the old tile is the exactly what you've described. (the one with perforated papaer backing) It looks like thin wall tile and I don't know why it was installe on the floor though.
A couple of more questions if you don't mind...Do you think I need some nylon or metal mesh on top of this thinset mortar? (Someone had mentioned this to me because otherwise the tile tends to crack, he said.) What's your take on that? What type of grout would you recommend for this type of tiles? Thanks again.

Sabina

Old 08-11-01, 01:40 PM
J
I don't recommend the mesh. That method is still very controversial. Use the cement backer board over the plywood, and bed it with thin set.

I like sanded grout on mosaic tiles. Keeps the joints full, and is much easier to wash.

John