Ceramic Tile on Plywood

Old 08-07-01, 12:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Howdy:

I want to install a 3' wide by 8' long section of ceramic tile in front on my sliding glass door which leads to my back deck (not enclosed). Right now the carpet has been removed and the plywood floor is exposed. I was informed that I should think about the possible movement of the wood and subsequent cracking of the tile (since its near a door and more prone to temperature changes).

Is there something I can do to make that section more flexible? If I need to install more plywood as a backing, what happens if it ends up higher than the carpet?

Any advice will help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-01, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Joe,

You'll need to install cement backer board over the ply. You can raise the carpet by nailing a piece of lattice under the tack strip when you put the carpet back against the tile. Carpet hides discrepencies, and you won't notice the height difference.

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 08-08-01, 06:29 AM
Visiting Guest
John:

Could I get a little more info on the cement backer board? Is this something I can buy or is it something that needs to be mixed and applied by me?

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-08-01, 04:08 PM
Joe,

Cement backer board is a rigid cement board you can buy at places like Home Depot. Wonder Board and Durock are a couple of brand names.

As to installation, look back through the forum and you'll find a bunch of references to cement backer. Sometimes it's referred to as CBU (cement backer unit).

John

http://www.johnbridge.com

Old 08-15-01, 03:53 PM
no_sparks
Visiting Guest
Joey's question is very similar to mine. I'm about to start some tile projects in my house. The entry way at my front door is one. The previous homeowner installed wood parquet tiles. This is a 40 yr old house. I think there might have been linoleum before the parquet. I popped one up the other day to find that these were installed over plywood sub-floor. Off the entryway I have a hall at one opening and a living room off another. Both of these are hardwood floors which I will have re-finished. The wood parquet is already higher than the hardwoods but with pretty good transition pieces, so the appearance is not startling. If I remove the wood parquet floor, put down cement backer board, the tile, I'm worried there will be a huge height difference. Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-01, 06:23 PM
You will just use higher transition pieces. It's not going to be that bad. Consider the alternative -- a tile floor that starts cracking a year from now when you have no desire whatever to deal with it.

John